Problem with display drivers/loading XP on laptop

cyberphobic 11:55 05 Feb 05

I have bought a 20GB HDD for my Compaq Armada 7400 laptop. I am quite familiar with this model and know that after loading Windows 98SE I have to load the S3 graphics drivers otherwise there is only a half screen display. I have done this and then loaded XP as an upgrade but the machine then takes over 2 minutes to boot into Windows. However, if I load XP directly onto the HDD (after having formatted the drive) it loads but there is no display at all, so of course I am then unable to load the S3 drivers. There must be a workaround to this but I can't find it! Suggestions please.

cyberphobic 12:55 05 Feb 05

I have just tried the Windows XP repair option, hoping that some generic drivers might be loaded that way, but no such luck. Does anyone have any idea how I can overcome this problem please?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:05 05 Feb 05

XP screen goes black for a while (on first boot) before welome screen comes up, did you wait long enough?

cyberphobic 13:15 05 Feb 05

Yes, I can actually hear the XP welcome tone when it has finished loading but there is definitely no display

woodchip 13:33 05 Feb 05

You need the updated Graphics drivers for XP, download and install these first

cyberphobic 15:50 05 Feb 05

Where will I find the correct XP drivers? I can't find any XP S3 drivers on the Compaq website.

woodchip 19:27 05 Feb 05

Windows 2000 should work OK

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:33 05 Feb 05

S3 trio XP drivers click here

cyberphobic 20:36 05 Feb 05

Thanks for your helpful suggestions, I decided to load Windows 98SE then the S3 drivers then upgrade to XP "one more time". This time it is booting from the black XP splash screen into Windows in 40 seconds, whereas before it was taking 2mins 30 seconds - the only difference is that this time I haven't loaded SP2, perhaps this is really where the problem lies as I have followed the same regime for loading XP onto other 7400s without any problems. Anyway I will see how things develop for a couple of days and if I need them, I have the option to use the drivers which you have kindly made available to me. Thanks again.

cyberphobic 21:54 07 Feb 05

Footnote - I loaded SP2 and this time the laptop works fine and boots into Windows in 40 seconds. So what have I learnt from this? - that you cannot predict what computers are going to do!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…