Problem disconnecting Pen Drive

rawprawn 16:01 24 Sep 04

On recomendation from this forum I bought a 128mb Pen drive. All seems OK until I come to disconnect it. I double click on the "Remove hadware safely" icon in the system tray highlight Mass storage device click sop it takes me to another window to check I sagain highlight the device and when I click stop the computer carshes. When it rebbots it says it has recovered from a serious error. Any ideas please, I have not used one of these before.
Windows XP Home, the device is Bytestor USB 2 Flash drive.

Diodorus Siculus 16:13 24 Sep 04

Don't know why it is crashing... do you get a message to say that it can be safely removed?

rawprawn 16:16 24 Sep 04

Hi, no it crashes as soon as I click stop

Diodorus Siculus 16:19 24 Sep 04

Strange one... click here - anything in this?

rawprawn 16:26 24 Sep 04

Well I tried that download just in case but I am SP 2 and it wouldn't load.I also tried right ckicking the icon in the system tray and then clicking stop the devic from there, but it immediately crashed just the same.

Diodorus Siculus 16:29 24 Sep 04

One last chance...

the system file checker

(as I am sure you know)

start

run

sfc /scannow

rawprawn 16:31 24 Sep 04

OK will try.

Diodorus Siculus 16:34 24 Sep 04

click here

for a discussion - seems to be a power problem.

ventanas 16:49 24 Sep 04

Serves you right for buying rubbish.

Seriously though, I suppose another possibilty is that the device is faulty. The Stop codes given in Dio's link can also be caused by failing hardware.

Do you have access to another machine to test it. Don't suggest mine.:-))

rawprawn 17:20 24 Sep 04

Hellow my little Spanish friend, who said you could come to the party ?
OK I have run sfc and there is no change I still am crashing as soon as I try to disconnect. I actually bought 2 of these pen drives one for me and one for a friend. I have just been and borrowed his and exactly the same thing happens so it is not a faulty device, it must be some thing on my computer because his works fine on his computer.I have emailed Bytestor support and they have come back asking which AV I use. Any further ideas. I am going to turn off my AV & Firewall and try again, but if I crash it will take me a few minutes to get back.

rawprawn 17:39 24 Sep 04

OK, I disconnected my AV and Firewall but still the same result, I am totally baffled. It must be something on my computer that it doesn't like. The big question is what ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…