//some 3rd party need geo

problem with defrag

joe95 18:53 29 Jul 05

I am running XPHome with SP2 and using Diskeeper lite to defrag. My PC seem to be rather slow this morning so I did a little cleaning and then looked at my hard drive with diskeeper it said heavily fragmented and there were large blocks of red everywhere started defrag ran okay and message to that affect but still these large blocks are there and everytime I open diskeeper they are in different places, have tried running defrag again but it only gets to 12% and then stopsor appears to have left it running for 30 mins but nothing changes.
I did a restore but that made no difference and I don't appear to have any bugs etc.
Grateful for any help as long asI don't have to go into Bios etc.
Thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:57 29 Jul 05

Can't defrag windows files while windows running, this of course leaves you with whe sections of the drive not defragged and therefore showing red.

VoG II 18:58 29 Jul 05

If there are large blocks of redit means that the disk is very heavily fragmented or that you have some huge files that are fragmented.

Diskeeper is usually pretty quick but you could try going into Safe Mode click here and Diskeeper should run faster. Or leave it running overnight.

joe95 19:00 29 Jul 05

could you please explain further, not running anything just diskeeper.

VoG II 19:03 29 Jul 05

Safe Mode stops a lot of other processes (that you would normally be unaware of) from running. If these are reading/writing the disk it will slow Diskeeper down.

Diskeeper marks Windows files in green.

joe95 19:23 29 Jul 05

VoG™
did that got message unable to connect to diskeeper service in the selected machine, connecting to Diskeeper service pressed okay diskeeper page came up but the middle section contained the desktop and nothing happened.

VoG II 19:26 29 Jul 05

What happens if you run Windows defragger?

joe95 20:00 29 Jul 05

same thing

joe95 22:22 29 Jul 05

VoG
sorted closed AV, Firewall etc, etc.and it worked after 90mins everything okay.
Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…