//some 3rd party need geo

Problem with copying to CD-RW disks

LJS 17:17 27 Jan 03

As you will be able to tell from my question, I have just bought a home computer and wanted to copy some photos scanned in to my machine on to a blank CD-RW disk. When I put the disk in my CDRW D drive a message comes up saying device not ready. Why doesn't it reconise that there is a disk in it? Do I have to format the disk like the 3 1/2" floppy disks. I have used my CDRW drive for recording music on CDR disks and it is ok. What am I doing wrong?

Lozzy 17:23 27 Jan 03

Check there is no dust or scratches on the CD.. Also try another and see what happens..

LJS 17:28 27 Jan 03

Thanks but I've already tried that.

User-312386 17:39 27 Jan 03

1st things 1st can we have your operating system, what software you are trying to use?

Diemmess 17:40 27 Jan 03

Confess I don't use the re-writer bit of my burner that much.......When I first tried I was baffled until I realised that Re-Writer disks require different software and pre-formatting before you can drag and drop anything to disk.

In my case I must use InCD instead of Nero Burning.

I hope this helps.

wawadave 17:43 27 Jan 03

hello
what o/s are you useing?
do you have a burning program? if so witch one?
if your useing xp it has one built in.
you should not have to format the disks. in fact
formating cd-r disks renders them completely unuseable. you only format cd-rw disks.
and this new computer are you sure it came with
a cd burnner and not just a reader?

LJS 17:52 27 Jan 03

OK thanks everyone. Firstly I use windows 98 and the software I was using for my photographs was Arcsoft Photostudio. I have definitely got a cd burner and the software I use for burning cds onto cd-r disks is Nero 5. It seems I need to format my cd-rw disks so how do I do this?

€dstow 18:07 27 Jan 03

Can't see any point in using CDRW disks - creations of the Devil. As CDRs are so cheap, why not just use them?

€d

barrie_g 18:24 27 Jan 03

format them the same way as you would a floppy right click the drive and click format.

Bapou 19:59 27 Jan 03

You have Nero 5 so you don't have to format your disc anyway. Launch Nero, and start a 'multisession' this allows you to drag and drop your pics. Next time continue the multisession with the same disc.

LJS 20:59 27 Jan 03

Thank you all. I agree with £D - aalmost no hair left. I tried to format them as per barrie g but no go. When I click on the D or E drive and do file, instead of 'format' in the drop down window, it says 'eject'. So I was stumped. Anyway I have managed to put my photos on to CD-RW using Nero 5 as per Bapou so mission acomplished.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…