Problem connecting when clicking IE

car nut 17:57 20 Apr 05

I've recently got a new Thomson Speedtouch DSL modem provided by Wanadoo. If I double-click the Speedtouch icon then it connects to the internet fine. I then have to click on IE or OE. If I just click on IE first, then I just get an otherwise blank IE page with an egg timer permanently. I would like to just click on IE or OE as I always used to.

Under Tools/Internet options the only one listed is "Speedtouch connection (default)". I've selected "Always dial my default connection".

Then, for this connection under Settings/Properties it says "ISDN Channel - Soeedtouch USB ADSL PPP" and there's a check mark in the box next to this.

Anyone know where I'm going wrong?

Thanks

Arthur Scrimshaw 18:01 20 Apr 05

try unticking this box and see if this helps.

woodchip 18:06 20 Apr 05

Not untick it, "it should have a tick in always Dial My Connection"

car nut 18:14 20 Apr 05

I've tried putting the check mark in the other 2 boxes:
Never dial a connection, and
Dial whenever a network connection is not present.

But the same happens. I don't get the Speedtouch "dialling" box up, like when I click on the S/touch icon.

woodchip 18:17 20 Apr 05

I have a SpeedTouch from NTL and just have the tick in Dial my Default Connection and it works OK I am using Netscape but the MS program controls the Dial-Up process for all

Arthur Scrimshaw 18:19 20 Apr 05

you say you can connect to the internet but you cannot get IE to open? I take it that you can send and receive emails?

car nut 20:24 20 Apr 05

I can both connect to the internet and get IE to open, but only by first clicking the Speedtouch icon, it connects and then clicking on IE. I can't just click on IE and get it to associate that with dialling the speedtouch connection.

polymath 20:51 20 Apr 05

Is Wanadoo an ISP? (excuse my ignorance, but here in Eire there's no point learning about British ones). If so, it sounds like mine (UTV), though I'm just on dialup. UTV recommended connecting via its icon and then opening IE etc, instead of the other way round. I thought it sounded fiddly at first, but it doesn't feel it now.
If I open IE before connecting, I get the standard Windows connection box, which apparently wouldn't work with my ISP.

polymath 20:54 20 Apr 05

Is Wanadoo an ISP? (excuse my ignorance, but here in Eire there's no point learning about British ones). If so, it sounds like mine (UTV), though I'm just on dialup. UTV recommended connecting via its icon and then opening IE etc, instead of the other way round. I thought it sounded fiddly at first, but it doesn't feel it now.
If I open IE before connecting, I get the standard Windows connection box, which apparently wouldn't work with my ISP.
When my ISP software finds its main number too busy, it automatically 'rolls over' to another number. Maybe that's the reason for using its icon to connect.

polymath 20:57 20 Apr 05

Sorry about that - I've no idea what I did!

polymath 20:58 20 Apr 05

Sorry about that - I've no idea what I did wrong!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…