Problem connecting phone to computer(MTP device)

hiwatt 11:34 02 Dec 08

Hi folks,I'm trying to connect my phone to my computer via the usb cable.I've installed the usb drivers and the pc suite that came with the phone but when I connect the usb cable it's saying "cannot install this hardware,there was a problem installing MTP device"I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail.Any ideas what the problem is?Thanks.

oldbeefer2 12:35 02 Dec 08

Have a look at message 9 here click here. Not sure if it's relenant, but may be.

hiwatt 13:17 02 Dec 08

Thanks oldbeefer2.It didn't work though.I installed the plug in from your link.When I connect the phone to the computer the phone says connected but the computer keeps telling me that it can't install the hardware.MTP device.All I'm trying to do is put an mp3 from my computer onto my phone.I never banked on it being so hard.I've been at it all morning.Thanks.

hiwatt 13:40 02 Dec 08

I just thought to mention that the phone is a Samsung SGH-L760.Thanks.

Technotiger 14:41 02 Dec 08

MTP in XP requires the presence of WMP9 or higher to operate.

hiwatt 15:42 02 Dec 08

I've got WMP 10 installed?Any other reason it's not installing the hardware properly with this message?Thanks.

Technotiger 15:58 02 Dec 08

... but amend to comply with your device -

click here

Technotiger 16:02 02 Dec 08

From another forum where a user had the same/similar problem ...

While I was searching around I found a solution to the problem. I had to
reinstall WMP10. To Do This I went to
C:\WINDOWS\RegisteredPackages\{981FB688-E76B-4246-987B-92083185B90A} then the
file named: WPD10.INF, which I right clicked and then selected install. After
a restart everything was working fine.

hiwatt 16:39 02 Dec 08

I just uninstalled the whole thing and reinstalled (Although I tried this a couple of times)and although it was telling me not to connect the phone untill the usb drivers were installed,I did and it recognised my phone.Phew it took long enough.Thanks for the help folks.

Technotiger 16:48 02 Dec 08

Grreat, thanks for your feedback - and well done for persevering!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5