Problem connecting modem and wireless router

georgepoynter 21:47 15 Dec 05

I have a BT Voyager 105 USB DSL modem and a Netgear Wireless Router MR814 v2.

The modem has a DSL socket and a USB socket but my wireless router has five ethernet cable sockets.

Is there anyway I can connect the two?

Thanks,
George

bazb 22:19 15 Dec 05

Hi

4 of the sockets will be LAN ports and the other will be your Internet connection. you connect your modem to this one.

cyberphobic 22:24 15 Dec 05

George, the great thing about using BT kit is that there is always a man on the end of a phone who will help you!

Go here; BT Voyager 105 USB

If you are unable to resolve any technical faults via these Support pages please call our Technical Helpdesk on 0906 302 0288. (Calls charged at 50p per minute and will last no longer than 20 minutes).

The opening hours of the Helpdesk are 09.00 - 18.00 Monday to Friday and 09:00 - 17:30 on Saturdays.

Alternatively you can E-mail* your technical query to [email protected].

georgepoynter 22:28 15 Dec 05

Thanks for your time, that helped but I still need to plug the other end of the ethernet cable into a 'fat' USB socket or a USB cable into a ethernet socket. If there is such thing as a USB to Ethernet adapter, where can I get one?

keewaa 22:33 15 Dec 05

I don't think there is. There is one that works the other way, but that's no use. Unfortunately the only way you can do it is through ICS, which means the host PC has to be left switched on. I would advise changing the router for an adsl wireless router such as netgear dg834G

mgmcc 23:31 15 Dec 05

For ADSL broadband, you need a combined "Router/ADSL Modem" which replaces the USB modem you are currently using. You cannot use a USB modem with a router and, unfortunately, you appear to have the wrong type of router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…