Problem in connecting laptop wirelessly to a PC

mistico 16:27 28 Aug 09

I have a Dell XPS 420 and Dell Inspiron laptop both working with Vista. Both can access Sky Broadband, web & email, the laptop wirelessly, viaa Sky router. However, am unable to get the laptop to recognise hence connect wirelessly to the XPS420, and thus to a printer, in spite of many attempts. Any help much appreciated

Jollyjohn 14:26 29 Aug 09

Is "File and printer sharing" switched on on the XPS?
Are they both in the same "workgroup"?
and the printer needs to be shared.

mistico 17:17 30 Aug 09

Thanks Jollyjohn File and printer sharing both swithched on at XPS and laptop, in same worktop. Still no recognition however

Jollyjohn 14:17 31 Aug 09

Is the firewall on XPS blocking connection?

Also add a protocol. In Internet options where it lists client for MS windows, tcp/ip protocol, file and printer sharing etc. Select Add, Protocol, under MS select ipx/spx, OK, OK Reboot. Do this on both machines.

mistico 16:40 20 Oct 09

Solved at last. Although I had not registerd with preinstalled McAfee it was evidently competing with Norton 360 which I had installed on the laptop. Also, only files stored in the Public forders can be viewed by another computer with Vista.

tullie 18:23 20 Oct 09

You arent running two AVs on same computer are you?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…