problem connecting laptop to pc internet

anti_rod 15:52 23 May 09

Good afternoon,

I have a desktop that has virgin internet via a bt phone line. It makes this connection using a speedtouch 330 modem which connects via usb to the desktop. I was wondering if it is possible to connect my laptop to the pc in order to use the pc's internet connection.

I have tried connecting directly using an ethernet cable and it recognises they are connected, i.e i can move files across, etc, and the laptop seems to think it is connected to the internet, however, when i load internet explorer on the laptop, it does not respond. Also, i have tried connecting the two up using a wireless router with an ethernet cable from desktop to router but again the internet connection cannot be made on the laptop.

is there anything i need, or settings that must be changed to allow this (i have allowed the sharing of internet connection on desktop)

Many thanks

mgmcc 22:23 23 May 09

You need to connect the two computers with a *CROSSOVER* ethernet cable. Then enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the actual internet connection (modem connection) in the 'Host' PC.

When you enable ICS, Windows will configure the network adapter used to connect to the 'Client' PC with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

The 'Client' PC's network adapter should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the 'Host' PC.

If you are using the Zone Alarm firewall in the 'Host' PC, the Internet Zone Security level needs to be reduced to Medium, otherwise ICS traffic will be blocked.

anti_rod 11:47 24 May 09

thank you very much, i shall give that a go. thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…