Problem with computer--Worm.SomeFool.I

DIYgirl 14:18 10 Jan 05

My husband has a computer in his office which is used only for word processing and occasional internet use (checking emails daily, and sometimes a little bit of surfing).

The computer is five years old, and has no virus protection installed on it as far as I know. It was supplied with a anti-virus, Norton's I think, but that has never been updated and I doubt that any virus scans have been run either.

Back in July they got an email from someone which warned them that an email they have sent was infected with a virus, which the email named as "Worm.SomeFool.I".

David asked someone who dropped in to sell him some AV software how to fix this, and was told that all he could do was reformat his hard drive. Is this right?

There are all sorts of problems with this computer, particularly with internet connection and emailing--I can't remember the details, but think that if you click send/receive in outlook the whole computer siezes, and it tells you that you are offline when you are already connected. I'll get more details of that later. But would this worm cause those problems, do you think?

Meanwhile, what can be done to salvage this computer and all of the files (no back-ups, of course) which are on it? It is mostly operational but it does do really odd things. Can I buy and run current AV software, or will we have to reformat?

I suspect that the biggest problem here lies with the operator, and I am afraid that there is little we can do about that!

JIM 14:31 10 Jan 05

W32/Netsky-BType Protection available since 18 February 2004 )
Protection history

Updated - 19 February 2004 15:49:03 (GMT)Published 18 February 2004 12:44:41 (GMT)

Worm

Aliases

Win32/Netsky.B

[email protected]

WORM_NETSKY.B

I-Worm.Moodown.b

Worm.SomeFool

W32/Netsky disinfection instructions

Resolve is the name for a set of small, downloadable Sophos utilities designed to remove and undo the changes made by certain viruses, Trojans and worms. They terminate any virus processes and reset any registry keys that the virus changed. Existing infections can be cleaned up quickly and easily, both on individual workstations and over networks with large numbers of computers.

Windows 95/98/Me and Windows NT/2000/XP/2003

W32/Netsky-B, W32/Netsky-C, W32/Netsky-D,

W32/Netsky-E, W32/Netsky-F, W32/Netsky-G,

W32/Netsky-H, W32/Netsky-I, W32/Netsky-J,

W32/Netsky-P, W32/Netsky-Q, W32/Netsky-Z and

W32/Netsky-AE can be removed from Windows 95/98/Me

and Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 computers automatically with the following Resolve tools.

Note: When disinfecting variants not listed above, use the recovery instructions in the appropriate virus analysis

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:31 10 Jan 05

Download, install, update and run a firwall then Antivirus software also do the same with some Antispyware.

Crap cleaner will clean out your temporary folders use this first.

Good combimation to use is Firewall =Zone Alarm
Antivirus =Avast, Antispyware = Spywareblaster + Spybot + Adaware, but the choice is yours all the following are free and highly recommende by people on this forum.

Crap Cleaner click here

Firewalls :-
Kerio4 click here
Sygate click here
ZoneAlarm click here

Anti Virus :-
Avast4 click here
Antivir click here
AVG antivirus click here
Microworld click here

Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
Spyware Sweeper click here
MSoftAntispy Beta click here

Let us know how you go on if it doesn't clear then we need to get a little more drastic with a Hijack this log and help from our resident experts Nellie2 or mark2.

Jackcoms 14:36 10 Jan 05

Try some extensive PC housekeeping:

Update the AV software definitions and run a full scan.

Download, update and scan with:

click here
click here
click here
click here
click here click here
click here

Then run Check Disk, defrag the hard drive and download and run click here

You may safely delete anything that CCleaner finds in Issues.

If the PC has an OS (such as XP) which has System Restore, turn System Restore off before running all these scan. Don't forget to turn it back on when you've finished.

If all that fails, a re-format may be the only answer.

DIYgirl 14:43 10 Jan 05

The computer is running Windows 98, so would a system restore be possible? I don't think you can do this with 98, can you? Or am I (as I often am) completely wrong?

I will try all those fixes, thank you very much. Are there any particular virus programs that are recommended? And are there any good ones available for free? I will have to download them (slowly!) at home, and take them into the office and do it all for him.

Diemmess 14:49 10 Jan 05

Reading between the lines - I suppose that you will be allowed to try to clean things for your husband?

In addition to most of the advice already given I think you might be wise to uninstall the outdated and now useless AV program first to prevent interference later.

Collect the anti virus and anti spyware you are going to need on your home PC then burn it to a CD, otherwise with the internet being unreliable you will have a struggle to download what you need at this stage.

I would then install and run CClean, that will clear the dud and the rubbish files.

Install and run Spybot S&Destroy which will clear a lot of the weaker spyware.

Install and run AVG7Free which if recently downloaded should sort out most virus problems.

Install and run Spyware Guard which with luck will cope with the rest of spyware as well as helping prevent new infections.

Install and run Zone Alarm which once it has been trained to pop up only when it finds a new program, is very good as a firewall

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:49 10 Jan 05

Re my thread good combination and all free.

Forgot your still having BB problems.

may be do an online scan first Antivirus on line checks:-
Panda click here
Trend Online Check click here

AV avast, Antispyware try Msoft new one

Diemmess 14:56 10 Jan 05

No - to easy restoration of W98SE,........ but all the programs listed are freebies for the single computer user. Certainly worth trying rather than a complete format and reinstall!

DIYgirl 14:57 10 Jan 05

Thanks, all, for your usual speedy help.

I'll be doing this all for David, probably at the weekend when he doesn't have to be there helping...!

I might be able to get my father, who has BB, to download everything for me. He's good like that. Then all I will have to do is go into the offices with my CDs and run everything. I already have Ccleaner and Spybot, so I won't have to get him to do too much.

The only thing which might be a problem is running those online checks that Fruitbat suggested. The computer is so erratic when connected to the internet that I doubt it would last the distance.

I'll let you know how I get on, and thanks again for all your help.

Jackcoms 15:59 10 Jan 05

DIYgirl

Good luck!

Please feed back to us, as you say.

DIYgirl 12:37 19 Jan 05

Good morning, all. Update as promised.

I went into David's office yesterday, and did almost all that you asked me to: didn't have time to do the scandisk and defrag, but am on my way in now to take care of that.

We are now having problems with Outlook Express not running properly, which first happened about the time that the worm was discovered. Would I do better to reinstall Outlook, or shall I try to repair it? I was told of a way to do this somewhere on another thread of mine, so I'll check back and see if I can track that down, but would a new install of the program be better, do you think?

By the way, Spybot found over 300 things to delete; Ccleaner also found a big bunch of problems; and yes, there was the worm mentioned before and two other viruses which seemed far less extensive, given the time it took to clear them out. Apart from the OE problem, all seems much better, so thanks for that, all of you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…