problem code when accessing outlook express

kumo22 19:51 18 Aug 07

I use tiscali as my ISP and use windows XP. I have three user accounts on my computer, two of which have outlook express set up for email. Everything has worked fine until a couple of days ago. Now this error message pops up:

The host 'pop.tiscali.co.uk' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'pop.tiscali.co.uk', Server: 'pop.tiscali.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11004, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

I have run a test to ensure that tiscali is connected properly therfeore I can only assume that it is a problem with outlook.

The tiscali advice website suggested it might be the firewall or anti virus. If it has any relevance I use Comodo as a firewall and AVG.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

brundle 20:00 18 Aug 07

No socket error means `can't find internet connection` - disable your firewall and test again, or check the firewall rules for MSIMN.EXE and allow it incoming and outgoing communication.

brundle 20:09 18 Aug 07

MSIMN.exe is Outlook Express, it will be different if you are referring to Office Outlook

kumo22 20:28 18 Aug 07

Thanks.

This will sound stupid. Do I have to delete the firewall completely to disable it?

Where would I check the firewall rules? Will that be within the Comodo settings?

kumo22 20:36 18 Aug 07

I found the MSIMN.EXE settings in Comodo. They were disbled. It now works fine.

Thanks
Mike

brundle 20:37 18 Aug 07

Right click the system tray icon, select Adjust Security Level, select Allow all. Change it back to Custom when you've tried Outlook/Outlook Express.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5