Problem With Check Disc

Expat 1 21:29 22 Aug 06

When schedualing a disc check on start up in Win XP Home, Comp starts up OK but just get a flash message that Check disc has been cancelled.
I do believe that there is a way of doing a check disc manually. Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

PS Disc Defragmentor is OK

Expat1 (Spain)

Devil Fish 22:04 22 Aug 06

you can manually check the drive by opening my computer

right click the drive you wish to check

click properties

then tools tab at top of box

error checking click check now

hope this is of some help

Expat 1 22:18 22 Aug 06

thats exactly what im'e doing Devil fish and it tells me that there are programs/files in use and a check will be done on start up. Which leads to the explanation Iv'e given at the start of this post. thanks for your help though.

Devil Fish 22:23 22 Aug 06

if you know the make of your hard drive try checking the manufacturers website they may have a utility to do the job

Expat 1 04:35 23 Aug 06

To find Hard drive manufacturer with Belarc & Everest but just get hard drive number. Any further suggestions anyone Please.

Expat 1 20:32 23 Aug 06

Doe's anyone know how to manually call a disc check? Iknow it can be done witha a command prompt but the old brain box just aint what it used to be, cant expect anything else at 70 I suppose !!!!!!

VoG II 20:38 23 Aug 06

chkdsk c: /f

Expat 1 21:14 23 Aug 06

Have tried that but still getting the same message. That Check Disc has been cancelled.

woodchip 21:26 23 Aug 06

If you have a XP CD, put it in the comp stop setup loading, then in run type SFC /SCANNOW press enter

Curio 21:34 23 Aug 06

When you have completed woodchips's procedure

Go to Start, Run, Type:
cmd /k chkdsk C:
Click OK.
3 checks will be made and you'll have a report at the end of it.
If problems are found it will not be able to do anything as the parameter has not been specfied as you will see.
So just type:
cmd /k chkdsk C: /f
Press Y and enter and this will schedule a full scan and will fix any errors.
Now to see what chkdsk has been up to click Start, Run, Type:
eventvwr
Click OK.
Click APPLICATION and look for "Winlogon" under Source. Double click it and there is your report.

Expat 1 19:37 25 Aug 06

Curio. All done

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017