Problem with CD-RW install

stevecymru 10:33 29 Jul 03

OK here was I thinking that adding a CD writer was going to be child's play. I bought an MSI 52/24/52 rewriter on the weekend. I run Win 98SE with 256M RAM and 20GB HD.

I had no knowledge of cabling protocol or jumper settings - I just plugged in the data, sound and power cables and thought the thing would work! How wrong I was.

The PC initially recognised the new drive and automatically installed new drivers. I have installed it as the secondary slave, with my current DVD-ROM as the secondary master. I have ensured that the jumpers on the drives match the positions on the cable.

I have been getting ATAPI incompatibility messages on bootup. I have changed the BIOS settings to AUTO for both of these drives. This has solved the bootup errors.

The writer powers up no problem. However, in explorer rather than having one drive letter, it shows the new drive having every drive letter between E and K!!! Clicking on any of these drive letters gets an error message "Drive not accessible", and "retry" and "cancel" buttons.

In control panel>system>device manager it shows the writer 7 times (for each drive letter that it has been allocated) and says that it is working properly. There are no yellow exclamation marks to be seen anywhere.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I could try next? Can I uninstall the drivers that were automaically loaded in the first install? If so, how do I do that?

Thanks in advance
Steve

xania 13:07 29 Jul 03

It seems to me that every time you booted your syustem, it attempted to load the CD writer in the next available slot thinking that the previous slot was booked for something else, not recognising that this was the same device but, at the same time being blocked by the previous failed attempt, - a kind of deadly embrace scenario.
I suggest you delete every occurrence of the CD writer in device manager - yes every one. Then reboot your system and it should then only find and install a single occurrence as drive E:\

stevecymru 14:26 29 Jul 03

xania,

sounds good to me - i'll try it tonight when i'm back home

Stuartli 15:37 29 Jul 03

You shouldn't have needed to install any drivers for your rewriter - like your CD/DVD-ROM drive it will merely require the standard generic Windows driver; are you confusing drivers with firmware?

stevecymru 16:33 29 Jul 03

Stuartli, sorry perhaps my post was a bit vague. The PC recognised the new hardware and automatically came up with a message, something like "building new driver database" and generated a horizontal blue bar across the desktop until it completed the install. Perhaps I am using incorrect terminology here. I apologise.

I didn't install any drivers myself.

Steve

stevecymru 10:16 30 Jul 03

Unfortunately, deleting the devices from the device manager has made no difference. They just reappear when I reboot. The PC doesn't try to re-install anything either. It's as if it is ready and waiting to detect the drive. If I disconnect the new drive, there is no trace.

I have also tried changing the rewriter to be the master, but the same thing happens. The new drive gets allocated with drive letters D through to K, and my DVD-ROM drive get the letter L as the secondary slave.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Steve

try putting your dvd rom as primary slave and the writer as secondary master. if you have 2 hdd's then move the second one to secondary master and the writer to secondary slave. in other words the dvd and the writer on different cables.

jimv7 12:34 30 Jul 03

Disconnect the dvd, boot with only the cdrw connected and see what the bootup screen says if its master or slave, if slave shut down and change to master, disconnect it and do the same with the dvd and set it to slave. Then allow the pc to boot into windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…