Problem CD-Rw discs?

1936 18:03 14 Sep 03

I am off round the coast of Britain in my elderly motor caravan to gather material to write a guide to camping and caravan sites with a view of the sea. I want to be able to back up to as CD while I am on the road in case I lose the lap top.
My Toshiba 1000 laptop does not have a CD-RW facility and a module that would fit costs over £300 so I opted for an external Iomega CD-RW to connect to my laptop.
The discs I have are 650 Memorex CD-RW and I have had problems getting them to run. Firstly the Iomega external CD-RW said that I must format the discs but when I tried a message came up saying there was no disc in place. Eventually when I managed to download a file from the laptop to the external CD-RW it would not run on my desktop PC.
I have been told that some external CD-RWs are not always compatible with Desktop PCs. I have also been told that some CD-RW discs are better than others so I wonder if it the Memorex discs I have are up to the job.
My question is: Does any one know of an independent review of CD-RW discs on the web or am I asking the wrong question?

-pops- 18:05 14 Sep 03

I have never had any success using CDRW disks.

As CDR disks are so cheap and much more reliable, I use those.

I assume your Iomega device will accept CDRs so try them in preference.

Djohn 18:10 14 Sep 03

As -pops- says, probably better to use CDR. You can keep writing to them on different sessions as long as you don't close them off, then use a new one when full. j.

krypt1c 18:25 14 Sep 03

As pops & Djohn say CDRW aren't the most reliable medium. How long are you expecting to be on the road ? CDRW aren't really intended for long term data archiving. The only time I use them is to transfer data from 1 pc to another, and to use as short term storage for mp3 collections to play on the move.

1936 21:26 14 Sep 03

Brilliant. Many thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…