Problem with CD Rom drive

Tittlemouse 19:24 20 May 04

Is it possible that a CD Rom drive will not accept certain CDs but will accept others. My sons drive is OK when I put an original CD in but will not accept a copy of other CDs. For instance if I put originals of "The Clangers" or "Early learning" CDs in for my grandchildren they are perfectly OK but if I put something that has been copied from the original the drive starts to spin and the lights come up and even the music starts but it ends abruptly without installing. I have installed my own DVD drive on his machine just to try it but it is still the same. Thanks for any help....Pentium 2.. Windows ME...

Diodorus Siculus 19:51 20 May 04

Yes, some older drives will not read home burned CDs. They need some software installed - this might serve as a bump for someone who can remember what it is.

Tittlemouse 19:56 20 May 04

Thanks Diodorus Siculus. I did try my own DVD drive on his machine which does not give me the same problem but it was just the same result on his....

Diodorus Siculus 19:59 20 May 04

Maybe a software / OS problem then. Maybe I will get a flash of inspiration as to what is necessary.

Dan the Confused 19:59 20 May 04

You say it also happens on the DVD drive. Have the copies been read on any other drives you've tried?

Dan the Confused 20:00 20 May 04

Sorry, slow update :(

Tittlemouse 20:17 20 May 04

If I put the copied CDs in my own machine they play OK. No trouble

Tittlemouse 21:02 20 May 04

Putting a new drive in would be no trouble and not very expensive but it would not solve the problem. Has no one else got any ideas?.

ted bear 21:57 20 May 04

hi - what operating system do you use on your computer - you said ME on your sons. do you use the same ? if u use xp on yours that could explain why they work on yours. likely solution in that case would be driver update as sometimes there is a problem between fast burning cd writers and slow reading cd roms. original cd's tend to be more versatile for some reason.

Tittlemouse 22:08 20 May 04

Thanks ted bear. My OS is ME the same as my sons.
I did try to update the driver in Device Manager but it was no good.

Charence 22:14 20 May 04

Are you sure you have FINALISED the CD? Because if your computer does not have the appropriate programs such as Nero or a CDRW then it won't recognise the CD. Re-insert the CD into the drive which you burnt it with and using a program such as Ahead Nero or Roxio CD Creator finalise the CD.

NB-This can be done after you have burnt CD.

Alternatively, you should be able to rectify problem if you install a Ahead Nero or Roxio CD Creator, etc. Onto the computer. It's better to finalise CD though as it will guarantee compatability.

Charence

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…