** PROBLEM WITH CD DRIVE **

Aneal 11:44 24 May 06

Hi, wondering if anyone can help...

Put simply, I have a laptop and the CD Drive does not work. The CD drive opens and when a cd is inserted the laptop fails to recognise anything. Since purchase (around 5 years ago) the CD dirve has only been used a handful of times so not too sure what the problem is?

Please help!!

Thanks

Totally-braindead 11:45 24 May 06

Does it still appear in My Computer?

Aneal 11:46 24 May 06

Hi, yes it does.

Totally-braindead 11:51 24 May 06

You could try cleaning the laser with a cleaning disk and try deleting the drive and restarting the computer, that would make Windows reinstall the cdrom driver, you may need the Windows disk its been so long since I did it I can't remember.
Failing that and assumming it reads no disks at all either audio or data then your cdrom may have failed.

UncleP 12:06 24 May 06

If the drive doesn't work with any CD, it may be a fault with the optical system. This is not uncommon in older machines, either from dust getting in or the light source (usually a laser diode, I think) losing output power.

It's not easy to repair. With desktop computers it's simplest to replace the drive - it's not expensive and you finish up with a better drive. With laptops you are dependent on what the manufacturer will do, and at what price.

UncleP 12:17 24 May 06

Sorry, overlapped Totally-braindead and didn't see his post.

I had one go on my last computer. The annoying thing was that the OS (Windows ME) reported that the drive was working normally - it was just that it wouldn't read most CDs. Fortunately it was just within the 3-year warranty, and the supplier replaced it without hesitation - good customer service!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:20 24 May 06

Is there a yellow exclamation mark against the drive in Device Manager?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…