Problem with BT & Pipex

palinka 12:17 01 Aug 09

I have had broadband with Pipex for 5 years but I continue to pay phone line rental to BT. The Pipex plan I have (which I believe is no longer available to new customers) gives me a certain number of free calls at any time. I use these during the day. Then, by prefixing calls with 1280, I route evening calls via BT where I have had free evening and weekend calls under their “Unlimited Evening and Weekend Plan" for many years, since long before I used Pipex (BT's Plan has had a several changes of name du8ring this time).
I have been using this combined system since August 2004.

Browsing BT’s website last week I noticed that our Calling Plan was shown NOT as evening and weekends but only weekends – so I ticked the relevant box to make it evenings as well (“at no extra cost” but committing me to a 12 month contract – which was no problem as I have been with BT for 30 years & have no intention of leaving.)

Today, 1st Aug, a letter from BT says, in effect , that I have switched ALL my calls back to BT. And of course I’m tied into this for 12 months with a penalty if I cancel.
I have now spent an hour on the phone to BT trying to sort this out. I did NOT intend to “return” to BT; I merely ticked an option that was offered without strings, as far as I could tell ( yes I know, how stupid can you be!). But there was nothing on the website to indicate that what I opted for would “return all my calls to BT” .

One of the people I spoke to at BT said that “not many people do [what I do] so it isn’t mentioned on the website”; & also that they don’t advertise the 1280 routing system – again, presumably because BT don’t want people to know about it.

I’ve now been given a tel no to contact the BT website people – only available Mon-Fri - and I will re-commence my battle on Mon.
Meanwhile, has anyone else had similar experience? Can anyone suggest whom I should contact. Anyone got an address for the Chairman of BT? Or anyone else who might be useful?

palinka 17:54 01 Aug 09

I'm transfering this to consumerwatch forum.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…