problem booting Vista - please help!

Arthur_Dent 21:03 25 Apr 10

Hi all, I've had a bit of a disaster fixing someone's PC, and I'd be very grateful for any advice to help me fix it!

My friend's PC has Vista installed, but they need to run an program that requires IE6, which in turn needs XP. I've created a partition on the drive in which to install XP, but the install failed. Now the PC won't boot!

I don't care about saving the XP installation, but I need to get Vista to start-up again. I'm hoping that I just need to edit the boot.ini file. Am I right? Is there more I will need to do?

Advice gratefully received - thank you!

rdave13 21:08 25 Apr 10

With a bit of luck; click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:18 25 Apr 10
  rdave13 21:23 25 Apr 10

With respect the computer won't boot up.

mgmcc 21:40 25 Apr 10

Vista doesn't use a Boot.ini file. You probably need to boot with a Vista DVD, go into the Repair console and run the command FIXBOOT so that the PC boots again from Vista's Boot Manager.

Normally, when software specifies a system requirement, such as IE6, it means that is the *minimum* requirement. It is unlikely that the program you're trying to run doesn't run with IE7 or IE8 installed.

Arthur_Dent 21:42 25 Apr 10

Thanks for your replies Fruitbat and rdave. I would have a go at fb's solution but I haven't yet mastered the art of making a bootable vista cd/usb stick that leaves me at a command prompt. Rdave, the vista recovery cd looks good, I've not seen that before. I've copied the files to a memory stick and booted to it ok on my computer. Unfortunately, I have already left my friend's house in shame! But they will be anxious to have their PC working again, so I'll post again after I've been round to see them...

Fingers crossed!
Thanks again...

Arthur_Dent 21:47 25 Apr 10

Thanks also mgmcc. I looked at the boot.ini, created of course by the XP install, and jumped to the wrong conlusion.

Annoyingly, the version of the offending program (Quickbooks) that they have to use (won't bore you with the reasons) doesn't work with IE7/8, and IE6 is not Vista friendly...

rdave13 21:54 25 Apr 10

Preferable to download the recovery disk iso file and burn to a DVD disk. On the bad pc you should boot up from the dvd/cd drive and select the appropriate task. This usually performs the boot loader repair for Vista.

Arthur_Dent 17:24 26 Apr 10

An update: have run the Startup Repair option on the Vista DVD - it runs, but appears not to do anything. I want to try Fruitbat's solution, I have bootsect.exe but now I'm not sure how to make a boot disk that will boot to the command prompt.

Any ideas?

Cheers again!

Arthur_Dent 17:37 26 Apr 10

And finally... problem solved. I found a copy of bootsect.exe, copied it onto my memory stick. booted into the Vista Repair program, which has a command prompt option. Used fruitbat's bootsect command above, rebooted, and everything worked. A huge relief - and I've managed not to lose my friends!

Many, many thanks again to those you who posted.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:50 26 Apr 10

Glad its sorted, thanks for the feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac