Problem booting up and installing XP

Barnacarry 15:08 05 Dec 04

I had a problem booting up yesterday. Instead of going straight into windows with the My Computer icon and others, etc. as is the norm, it went to where you click on your name to enter; except, the right half of the screen was blank. The only option to be seen was to 'Shut down the computer'. Having tried this a few times with the same response, I went into the safe mode but could find no indication of the problem. One large whisky later, I tried looking at the Bios settings which meant absolutely nothing to me. So, after another large whisky I put my Upgrade XP disk in and thought I'd start from scratch - I do have backups of my files - only this time it said that it couldn't find an earlier version of Windows (which was originally Windows 98 and I now don't have the disk) and that I would have to put in a Full version of XP. Any advice or a large bottle of whisky would help!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:26 05 Dec 04

Boot into safe mode Type

sfc /scannow

into the run box and press enter have your upgrade CD in the CDROM drive.

Window should scan and repair missing and corrupt files. Have another whisky it will take awhile.

Reboot on completion evrything should then work ok.

Barnacarry 15:30 05 Dec 04

Thank you, Fruit Bat /\0/\, will now give it a go - bottle at the ready.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…