Problem at boot up using win2000...help please tha

bof:) 12:25 21 Jan 04

Hi All,

Son number 2 is using windows 2000 and has started getting the following message when he boots up:

STOP: c0000218 registery file failure> The registery cannot load the hive (file) /System Root/System/Config/SOFTWARE or its log or alternative

After the message he is unable to get into windows and just has to shutdown his PC.

He has tried booting into Safe Mode but the same message come up. (Although he can use F8 to get a list of options).

One of the options is something like 'use last good configeration', is this a configeration he should have set himself, like a System Restore, or is it set by the PC?

Another option is 'Debugging' what does this do and how is it used?

For either of these options will he loose work thats already on his PC? (Yes I do know about backingup but I can only keep asking the kids to do it).

Many thanks for all help received it is truely appreciated,

Mike

MichelleC 13:41 21 Jan 04

This will reinstall w2k over itself and will save progs and dat, but all updates will have to be redone. I'd save all drivers 1st too with this tool click here

boot from w2k disc, choose INSTALL, then choose INSTALL again, select os and choose REPAIR.

MichelleC 13:51 21 Jan 04

... bit brain-deadish today. B/up drivers 1st if poss, I meant.

bof:) 23:18 21 Jan 04

hi MichelleC,

many thanks for the help.

I've downloaded the backup program.

Once again thanks for the help, you've made no:2 son very happy :-)

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…