?Problem-Bios.

ribo 09:34 28 Nov 03

Hell again, can anyone help please.?

Two questions (1) My nephew,who has a new build compter, cannot get the bios to select and save in the boot sequence. It is showing Floppy disk and every time he changes this to CD rom, enters, and then exit and saves,it immediately reverts back to Floppy. Can anyone explain what is wrong and how to rectify this.
(2) \the second question related to this. Is this the reason he cannot install an OS (Windows XP? )He gets as far as a message saying "No operating system".
It is an Asus Terminator MoBo and he only has a R/W cd rom.drive. thanks .J

Gongoozler 10:09 28 Nov 03

Hi ribo. It sounds like the motherboard is not recognising the cd drive. At the first BIOS screen, I think in an ASUS motherboard this is called MAIN, set the primary and secondary master and slave to "Auto", and all installed ide drives should be recognised. If they are not, they haven't been fitted properly, perhaps the ide or power cables are not properly fitted, or the selector links are not in the right positions. It shouldn't matter that the cd drive is a cd-rw, but it would be better to have a cd-rom drive as well just because these are cheaper and last longer. You can get a really good one for under £12.

ribo 10:15 28 Nov 03

Thank you for your help. Ny nephew is coming later this am (I hope) and we will check the items you suggest. Can you answer my 2nd questiion, which was is this the reason he cannot install the OS which is XP. (I think it could be but he says not!)

ribo 10:18 28 Nov 03

ps. In the post screen it does say that the HDD is master and the CD drive is master ( 2 ide cables) he has not set any slaves. Does this perhaps mean that the mobo is recognising the drive. J

Gongoozler 10:48 28 Nov 03

Hi ribo. HDD as primary master and cd-rw as secondary master is the normal way of connecting the drives and so should be ok. I don't have XP, but I understand that it is normal for XP to be installed from the cd. What I don't know is how the system recognises the cd as a boot drive without any drivers, perhaps someone with XP experience can answer this one.

ribo 11:13 28 Nov 03

Thanks. It is normal for xp to be installed from the cd, so is this the reason he cannot instal it,the fact that his boot sequence does not let him boot from the cd drive first j

Gongoozler 16:24 28 Nov 03

Hi ribo, yes, I'm sure the two are connected. Probably there is a setting in BIOS that is stopping you setting the boot sequence. If you can't find the setting, try clearing the BIOS (there should be a jumper to do this). This may enable you top set the boot sequence.

DieSse 17:47 28 Nov 03

The CMOS clear jumper may be in the wrong position - this would stop you saving new settings.

And if you can't set it to boot from the CD this would stop you setting up XP from the CD.

DieSse 17:48 28 Nov 03

PS -

The BIOS is able to recognise the CD as bootable, as long as the CD has the correct boot record on it - the BIOS has a driver in it which can do this.

DieSse 17:49 28 Nov 03

PPS - this is a function of most (all?) modern motherboards.

ribo 21:08 28 Nov 03

Thank you both very much for your help. We have been messing about all day trying everything to install XP. Eventually I downloaded 6 floppy disks from MSM which are boot disks. We could then install xp. I realize that there is still something not right. We did not get a chance to look at the CMOS clear jumper yet or clearing the bios.But we will certainly look into that. My nephew had to get back to London. He had taken the comp. back with him,at least it has an operating system now. I will tick this as resolved,as I do not know when he will be back.
Thank you both again for your help. j

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…