Problem with a Belkin router and NTL Broadband...

t.long 09:22 15 Sep 03

I have a Belkin 4-Port Cable/DSL Gateway Router, at the moment it is conected to only one PC - thought I had more cables than I did. Anyhow I set up the router and when it came to trying to conect to the internet for the first time everything went fine. After around 45 minutes or so IE just keep coming up with DNS errors. So I shut down the computer, then the router, restarted the router then then the computer and everything was fine, at least for 45 minutes before the same thing happened. Obviously there is some sort of problem, any ideas.

ntlman 09:40 15 Sep 03

ring ntl helpline on the back of your disk there should be able to help u
u might have to registor the mac address of your router

t.long 12:28 15 Sep 03

Oh the NTL helpline, any one got any other ideas befor I try that one.

P.S. ntlman do you work for ntl or somthing?

Rusty Bullet Hole 12:44 15 Sep 03

I have a Linksys wireless router on NTL which allows me to clone the modems mac address but I don't think that's your problem. i had many problems with my setup, the main one I only found after a format and re-install. The graphics card drivers where conflicting with the router so I had to alter the IRQ setting in the bios to get it to work. you my not have the same problem as me but I think it's a conflict issus just the same. See which IRQ the network shares and go from there.

m25man 12:46 15 Sep 03

Have you cloned the mac address for your pc to the router? Then the ntl server sees your contact as your registered pc not the router. My wireless router had instructions on how to do this - hopefully yours do too!

Rusty Bullet Hole 13:03 15 Sep 03

the only mac address NTL is bothered about is the one from your cable modem. NTL allow you to use any PC on your connection.

SEASHANTY 15:39 15 Sep 03

Sharing PC's on a router check out robin d.d. walkers NTL site click here

SEASHANTY 15:42 15 Sep 03

That should have been robin d.h.walker.... and read
up on the various links on his webpage, particularly
the one concerning the MAC address. This one click here

t.long 12:34 16 Sep 03

Well I am still having problems, might have to wait to the weekend when I can spend hours at it. Or we might just switch to ADSL.

SEASHANTY 15:42 16 Sep 03

You have not told us whether you are using ethernet or USB connection with your modem. Ethernet is far less likely to cause trouble as there are sometimes problems with the drivers on USB connection. The NTL cable modem takes note of and remembers the physical address (MAC address) of the first computer connected to the modem. This is the one you will have registered with NTL and is a 12 digit address.
All devices capable of being connected to the internet have a unique "physical address". Your Belkin router also has a unique 12 digit address. By cloning into the router the same address as your PC
physical address the NTL server still believes it is talking to your PC without the trouble of having to re-register with NTL. When the router has the same address as your original then other PC's can be connected to the router ports without the need to have your original PC running. To eliminate conflicting MAC addresses please advise us - have you cloned the original Mac address into the router?

SEASHANTY 15:49 16 Sep 03

See also what NTL say about unregistered cable modems - they are only given LIMITED on-line time.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…