Problem with Bandwidth usage

chochi 18:19 24 Aug 07

After receiving an email from BT saying I had gone over my monthly usage allowance of 5MB, I downloaded Tautology Bandwidth Meter to keep my eye on what I was using.
Up to last night,I had used 4.89GB for the month. After my computer had been on for about 2 hours today I had a look at the meter and was horrified to find it said my monthly usage was 12.89GB and my IN/OUT totals for today were 8GB.The only sites I have been on since midnight were this Forum and my husband was on a sporting website. Is there any way that I can check what this usage was for, as it looks like someone has been using my bandwidth, but I don't know how. I have a wired connection to BT Broadband.

VoG II 18:26 24 Aug 07

I would check for nasties.

Superantispyware click here

AVG Antispyware click here

A-squared click here

Dipso 22:52 24 Aug 07

You say you have a wired connectioin to BT Broadband but do you have a wireless router? If so is the wireless active and is it secured?

woodchip 23:06 24 Aug 07

You could Disable your Browser from Loading any Images

woodchip 23:11 24 Aug 07

It may be also that as Vog touched on, Computer may being used as a Zombie

chochi 01:01 25 Aug 07

I already use AdAware, Spybot, Spyware Terminator,A Squared & CCleaner - all of which found nothing. I downloaded Superantispyware & AVG Antispyware and they found some Tracking cookies.
I'm afraid I don't understand Dipso's question.If I have a wired connection, how can that be wireless? My BT connection is through a USB ADSL Modem.
Is it possible to check on my computer, what the 8GB's were used for?

Kate B 01:02 25 Aug 07

If you've pumped out 8GB today it sounds as though your machine is a spambot. Deep scans with all the usual antimalware apps, and I'd also suggest posting a hijack this log in the hijack this forum for expert guidance on shifting anything persistent. Meantime, disconnect it from the net.

chochi 01:11 25 Aug 07

I'm not too sure about Hijack This. I don't have it on my computer and anything I've seen about it looks like it's for more advanced users. Can someone with limited knowledge use it easily?

brundle 01:22 25 Aug 07

8GB in two hours is impossible on a home broadband connection. Tautology will be only be looking at your PC, not any other machine that may or not be using your connection. Are you sure your network interface is selected and not the loopback device?

chochi 01:30 25 Aug 07

Yes it is definately the interface that's selected.Loopback is showing 1.20GB for the month.

brundle 01:32 25 Aug 07

Also, slight confusion over MB and GB - your monthly allowance is more likely to be 5GB. You're /certain/ Tautology is displaying GB?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac