Problem With AVG Free in Windows ME

Pesala 20:51 16 Jul 05

I've been struggling to get my PC to boot up for several hours. By running a selective startup and disabling the three Static VXD entries for AVG I finally managed to boot up again normally.

I have just uninstalled and reinstalled AVG 7.0 Free, ran the update, and am currently running a virus scan. If you don't hear from me again assume that I'm still having troubles after the reinstall and update.

nodrog2 22:02 16 Jul 05

I have had precisely the same problem and spent most of the afternoon trying to solve it. I seem to have had success by uninstalling AVG and replacing it with Avast anti virus.

Pesala 22:17 16 Jul 05

Downloaded and installed the latest version of AVG Free and ran the virus update.

Program Version 7.0.329

Virus Database: 287.8.16/50

Now having a problem with the BBC Newsplayer refusing to play media streams. Not sure of the reason yet.

Pesala 22:59 16 Jul 05

Rebooted. System halted due to Windows protection error. Started in Safe Mode, disabled the Static VXD files again. Now OK, but no Antivirus.

Several possible causes:

Windows Media Player conflict.

Windows Update not up-to-date.

BBC media streaming OK now after changing from Real One Player to Windows Media Player.

Pesala 00:04 17 Jul 05

I have installed all the Windows Critical Security updates, removed AVG Free, and installed Avast.

ashdav 02:53 17 Jul 05

BBC streaming is slow at the moment. It does this from time to time. If you wait long enough it will kick in. They seem to have problems with their server. I would concur with your choice of Avast however. I too had problems with AVG and found it to be unreliable in that it would intermittently stop various functions on my computer in a random and unpredictable way. I also did as you did and switched to Avast and all problems went away. You also get autoupdates of course.

Pesala 11:01 17 Jul 05

This is the blue screen exception error I get with AVG antivirus enabled:

Exception OE at 0228:C1901B09 in VxDCDR4VSD(01) called from 0028:C18BCF6E in VxDCDVSD(01)

I might try again later.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…