Problem with AVG 8

anchor 11:25 17 Aug 08

On starting my PC today, and trying to update AVG 8 free by downloading the latest definition file, it failed to install. I received a message that "a bin file is missing".

A reboot did not change this, so I uninstalled it via windows add/remove. I then downloaded the latest version of 8 from Grisoft, and installed that. On updating I received the same message, and no updates could be installed.

I uninstalled this new installation of version 8, and, as a temporary measure, installed version 7.5, which has updated and is running normally.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?.

Halmer 11:30 17 Aug 08

No need to uninstall as will be fixed soon. loads of posts on here about it.

Halmer 11:31 17 Aug 08
  anchor 12:04 17 Aug 08

Thanks for your replies. I appears that this is a widespread problem caused by Grisoft, and they are aware of it. A pity they did not remove the update immediately they realised there was a problem, and spared me the aggravation. For the moment I will stick with v: 7.5.

In a statement on another forum from 12 hrs ago, they said:

"Currently the update for AVG Free v8 is corrupted... you will have to wait for AVG Technologies to address the issue with the update. Reporting the issue again by other users here will not do any good until it is resolved.

The updates that your AVG currently have will still provide the protection it is setup to detect. In other words, just getting this update will not make your AVG Free ineffective and as soon as AVG Tech resolves the issue you will be able to update to the current virus definitions at that time. So in short... please do not post to report the issue, its already known. Also please be patient until AVG Technologies can address the issue. Also... for those users that did report the issue... thanks for the info".

interzone55 12:34 17 Aug 08

Everything should be hunky dory now, the update has been fixed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…