Problem after motherboard upgrade.

bda72 17:28 11 Oct 05

Hi guys,

I can't load windows after a forced motherboard change, I have had this problem before after replacing a motherboard with one with a different chip set but did get it working.

The old board used the via chipset and the new one is the Abit AN7 using the NForce chipset, the problem is I can't remember how to get the new drivers loaded. The only reason I want to get it running before a full re-install is to get some files backed up since my last back up.

My other option is to do a clean install on my second hard drive then try to get the files off the old drive once I get windows XP installed, is this possible to do as there would be an operating system on both drives?

Any advice would be welcome.

Many Thanks.

Barry.

gudgulf 17:48 11 Oct 05

The best method for replacing a motherboard is to do a repair install of XP.

Boot from the xp disc and go to setup rather than the repair console.At the point where Windows is ready to begin it's set up you will be offered the option of repairing the current installation.Press "R" to begin the repair.

You will need your product key and have to reinstall the motherboard drivers etc again(including updating windows).This should get you back into a fully working Windows without losing all your settings and documents.It also gets round the problem of having the old drivers on the system so you shouldn't need to do a further clean install, unless of course,you want to.

bda72 07:37 12 Oct 05

Thanks for that gudgulf, I has making the mistake of going into the repair console. However having done this while repairing it kept saying it could not find certain files then froze, on restarting all I get is a screen showing memory processor and drives and a blank screen if I try to get into the bios, any Ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…