Problem accessing secure sites

magicvi 16:05 05 Mar 07

XP. I can access the internet, get my emails and everything else but I cannot access secure sites - my bank and shopping carts with either Netscape or IE7. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Norton Security without success. i have another laptop with the same OS, browsers and Norton and that works fine.
Help

Eric10 17:00 05 Mar 07

This has worked before in cases like this.

Open a dos box (type cmd in the Start/Run field) and enter these commands one at a time:

regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 dssenh.dll
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 sccbase.dll
regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

magicvi 17:18 05 Mar 07

Tried the above with no luck - what is it supposed to do?

Eric10 19:30 05 Mar 07

It re-registers the named dlls with Windows and works in most cases. You may need to restart your PC before they take effect.

The problem can also be caused by your computer's clock showing the wrong date or time as secure sites carry a time stamp which they compare with the connecting computer.

You should also check the encryption in IE is not set to 56-bit. Check Help, About Internet Explorer and look for Cypher Strength. Also, in Internet Options, Advanced tab make sure the checkbox for "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" is not checked.

There is more help at click here

magicvi 11:24 06 Mar 07

Hi, thanks for the info.
I have checked the other things you mention - nothing to report - clock OK, encrypt page/disc unchecked, cypher strength 128 bit.
I do not think it is IE because the same problem exists in Netscape.
I have discovered that I cannot get into click here either!!

magicvi 11:39 06 Mar 07

I have noticed that, even for the sites I can access, the page does not seem to fully load and shows e.g. 'waiting for pcadvisor.uk.intellitxt.com...'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac