Problem accessing Internet

Fleetblue 09:06 26 Aug 07

On Thursday last I lost my Internet connection. Re-booting etc. was no use, so eventually I 'phoned Virgin my service provider. After pressing several numbers I eventually got a robot who told me there was a problem in my postcode area but "engineers were aware of it". By Friday evening nothing. Same message. I 'phoned Virgin's Technical Services (25p per minute) only to spend 15 minutes trying various fixes none of which worked. Eventually the engineer called me back to report there was "an outage in my area which would end at 22.40. By 23.00 still no Internet. On Saturday evening I again called Technical Services. Another 25 minutes later I was informed that the problem was with my browser )IE v:7) and that I should change this. As I have Firefox installed I tried that - still nothing. I also appear to have my Home Page hijacked by click here which I cannot get rid off. If anyone can give me help or advice I would be most grateful.

birdface 10:27 26 Aug 07

Try turning your modem of at the main switch,Leave switched off for 20 seconds then turn on, Leave for 2minutes before you try computer again.Or Control Panel.Network Connections.Right click local area connections and press repair.See if there is any problems.Or try Control Panel ,Administrative tools, Services, Scroll down to DNS Client and make sure it is set to automatic. Or try Control panel.Internet Options.Connections, LAN Settings,And make sure Automatic detect settings is ticked,Ok,Apply.Ok

octal 10:28 26 Aug 07

If it has hijacked IE7 it shouldn't have any effect on Firefox.

When this sort of thing happens to me on Virgin Media I find I have to clear out all the browser cache and cookies and start again. That usually takes me to the Provisioning screen where I've got to enter all the computer information and PID numbers. Then reboot the computer clear all the browser cache again and I find everything works OK after that.

VoG II 10:28 26 Aug 07

They do seem to be having problems click here

So far I'm unaffected - touch wood.

birdface 10:53 26 Aug 07

If you do find it was their fault, phone them up and tell them you want a refund of any phone calls that you made to them,Also that you want a refund for the days that you could not access your broadband TV or whatever.I was cut off for three days about 3 weeks ago ,No TV no broadband ,phoned them up to see what kind of refund that I could expect,So they are now going to give me £2 of my next bill.Wow.Virgin is Ok when everything is working Ok.But really crap when it comes to repairs.Same situation as yourself.They could not even inform their call centers that we were cut off for repairs,So were tossed about from one call center to another,I hope you could understand them.Anyhow best of luck I hope you get it sorted soon.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…