//some 3rd party need geo

Problem on 98 boot-up

skydog 10:37 09 Oct 04

When I boot up my other computer which is running windows 98 my CD rom and CD r/write have gone from the boot up menue???????? Could someone please help me get them back plese

skydog

Graham ® 10:42 09 Oct 04

Are they shown in Device Manager?

skydog 10:49 09 Oct 04

thanks for the quick response and yes they are still showing and reported to be working ok

Graham ® 10:58 09 Oct 04

OK, not sure what the problem is. Are they not working? Do you get an error message?

skydog 12:04 09 Oct 04

All I get is selected drive not ready????

Graham ® 12:23 09 Oct 04

I suggest you uninstal one of them in Device Manager. Reboot and Windows should detect it and re-instal the driver.

Diemmess 15:24 09 Oct 04

You say - "gone from the bootup menu"

Does the computer actually reach the Desktop stage and if so, when does the error - "Not ready" appear?

skydog 18:57 09 Oct 04

yes it does reach the desktop stage I get the error message when I try to use the CD-rom or R/write drives

VoG II 19:02 09 Oct 04

So what is "bootup menu"?

Sorry, but I am confused as well.

Does this error occur when you try to read a CD, write a CDRW etc.?

The more information that you can supply, explaining exactly what happens, the better the chance of somebody knowing a fix.

woodchip 19:09 09 Oct 04

If they are not showing when you boot the Computer, you need a new Ribbon cable if they are both on the same cable. Or as I had, a motherboard IDE socket was faulty

skydog 19:49 09 Oct 04

sorry if I did not explain myself clearly, they are not showing when I boot up, woodchip could this happen out of the blue???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…