Problem with 2nd HD not showing in XP

dekles 01:16 09 Dec 08

Thanks for the suggestions made about my problem - the main difficulty is, the disk physically runs when power is applied - you can feel and hear it working. The BIOS set-up registers that the disk is present as Primary IDE slave, (D) and shows the correct details - maker's name, size, etc. The system is set in the BIOS to boot from Primary IDE Master disk (C) If I then try to boot the system, it will not work, unless I disconnect the slave drive (D). With (D) disconnected, everything else works perfectly.
Booting with Acronis works, with (D) installed, but the drive does not show up, and Bart PE disk boots the system as well, but says it cannot access (D) as it is RAW.
It appears that I have lost the MBR or file system, and although I have an Acronis Back-Up, I cannot restore anything because the disk only shows up in the BIOS, not in XP or the emergency boot CD systems.
If anyone knows a way to get the disk recognised under XP, I would be most grateful, because even if I need to format the disk, I might still be able to recover the few files I would like to keep, using my registered Recover My Files program.

MCE2K5 01:20 09 Dec 08
  Ashrich 18:15 09 Dec 08

Attach it to another IDE channel ( secondary ) rather than as a slave , temporarily use the IDE channel that your CD/DVD uses and see if will boot then .

Just Googled the problem ( typed in Raw Hard Drive ) it seems that the NTFS partition table is corrupt , the general consensus is to use file recovery software that can read MFT's ( addresses ) of the files regardless of whether the partition table is present or not . The recommendations are to use " Get Files Back " for NTFS click here , or RStudio click here , although both may cost you , RStudio link is to a " free download " but I don't know how " free " it is .

Ashley

Ashrich 18:21 09 Dec 08

Better say thanks to MCE2K5 for finding your new post on this theme and putting in the link , it is preferred you stick to one thread per problem .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…