Problem

Bomberboy1943 08:34 27 Sep 06

When starting up my computer everything is ok however after 30 minutes the screen goes black on rebooting it works fine for the rest of the time I have been told by others it could be my Graphics card the current one is Intel740 Compatible Graphics Adapter my operating system is XP Home I have done a full virus sweep with AGV anti Virus but nothing showsany other sugesstions

Graham. 09:05 27 Sep 06

Please ensure that your thread title accurately describes your subject.

Batch 09:06 27 Sep 06

If it is a separate graphics card (rather than built into the motherboard), it might be dirty contacts.

If you feel confident to open up the case, you could take out the graphics card (remove the monitor cable first) and re-seat it. If doing this you should discharge any static from yourself to the PCs case first by touching the metal frame (turn the power off at the socket first).

Bomberboy1943 09:50 27 Sep 06

Sorry about the origonal thread title
if it is as batch says what is the best methord to
1 Clean the contacts
2 Prevent it happening again

Cymro. 10:50 27 Sep 06

Good for you Graham, I was thinking the same thing.

Batch 11:18 27 Sep 06

Often just pulling the card out and re-seating does the job as the contacts get "scraped" pusing in and out.

If you really want to clean them, use some isopropyl alcohol on a cotton bud.

Note that when handling any of the cards etc., be careful not to touch any of the component / contacts (i.e. hold the edges of the cards).

No g'tee that it won't happen again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…