Probable malware infection

Appy211077 11:23 31 Jan 08

i think have a malware infection. every 20 mins approx the computer freezes for 20 secs or so and i get a pop up - seems to be a random one of these. (link to slideshow of screengrabs)

click here

tried Ad-Aware 2007 - nothing found. ditto Windows Defender. tried Hijackthis and analysed log using both auto analyser and online guide - nothing untoward found.

believe that Saliar is organisation responsible as clicking on the pop up bubbles (note how badly they are spelt and worded - classic giveaway?) takes you to their website and tries to download their tool, which presumably is bogus

Problem seems similar to this person's
click here
note their only response was from Saliar telling him to install their tool! i smell a rat!

help please - eternal gratitude will be forthcoming

Appy211077 11:26 31 Jan 08

i should have said that this all started when installing Sky Broadband wireless - they instructed me to disable firewall and antivirus for installation. My homepage was hijacked to Saliar - that problem has gone, this one seems to remain.

Googling Saliar yields very little - whether positive OR negative. Strange.

mfletch 11:35 31 Jan 08

Hi,

Download SAS Superantispyware check for any updates and the run a full scan in safe mode,

SAS/Free version/ click here

Let us know what it finds,

mfletch

birdface 11:39 31 Jan 08

Cant find anything to say Saliar is a rogue program.Try your search box for anything to do with Saliar.And delete it.Also check msconfig and add remove to make sure it is not on any of those.

birdface 11:41 31 Jan 08

If problem persists it might be better to go to the Malware Forum and post your HJT log on there.It will take a few days but if you have anything on your computer they will find it.

Appy211077 16:25 31 Jan 08

thanks for your help so far but the problem persists.

SAS found nothing but tracking cookies. All removed. Problem persists.

Search of all files/folders for "Saliar" found nothing. There's nothing in msconfig or add/remove program list.

Which 'Malware Forum' do you mean buteman?

six-h 16:39 31 Jan 08

Suspect buteman means here: - click here
They will help you, but be patient, they will contact you once you have registered and posted your log and guide you through any removal of nasties.

birdface 17:04 31 Jan 08

Hi.Many thanks for jumping in and giving the correct location.Getting a bit dippy in my old age, and forgot to post it.

six-h 17:19 31 Jan 08

Me too!
Was just browsing and knew that was where you meant.
Often thought of joining those guys, but don't think I'm clever enough!!

birdface 17:38 31 Jan 08

Just do what I do,Answer the ones that you know.And leave the rest to the experts.Its amazing what you learn on here.Something new every day.Playing poker the other day and a lady from Nottingham commented that she had Trojans on her computer.I gave her this address to try,But she had already put it in to a repair shop and was expecting to pay upwards of £40 to get it fixed.She was elderly so if you can save anyone from paying out money that they probably can't afford,That should help make your day and that of the person you are helping.Any form of help is better than none.Good luck and keep up the good work.

vivmortine 01:12 01 Feb 08

I had the same popups directing to saliar.com. Caused quite a bit of problem and got progressively worse until the computer was barely usable. I got rid of it by running drweb-cureit, available here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017