Probable hard drive failure.

alcudia 09:45 25 Nov 03

Friends computer refuses to start, reporting problem with locating Fat32 and suggesting a problem with disc compatability.

Checkdsk reports over 200k bad clusters

Afraid this is all I've got as I havn't seen the machine

Also will not start in safe mode.

Machine came from Tiny so no support.

Is it worth trying fdisk or has the drive had it.

Grateful for your views.

madPentium 11:01 25 Nov 03

obviously if you try fdisk, you will lose everything. To be certain it isnt a problem with the bios or the ide controller, is there another pc you can put your drive into?
It may be a virus problem.

Diemmess 11:03 25 Nov 03

You are probably right...... This is how it starts most often. You haven't said what O/S but that will not make a difference, except perhaps to what can be, or is worth trying to recover from, the old HD.

You didn't say if you had tried booting from a floppy or a CD with the idea of running virus check, though that is not very high on my list of likely causes

Sounds like time to fit a new Primary HD, get everything up and running and then see what can be saved from the old 'un now set up as a Secondary HD.

alcudia 11:16 25 Nov 03

Thanks for the replies.

The machine belongs to my assistant and she is bringing it into the office to-morrow. I will then see exactly what is reported. I have start up dics for both 98 and me. Which I use will depend on the size of the drive, should I need to run fdisk. She has a recovery disc, but if the hard drive is replaced it is unlikely that this will work.

The machine is running XP Home. But I am bit confused. She says that when in the past it has shut down incorrectly it runs scan disc when next started. I've never seen this on XP, but I have never seen the Home version also. is this normal for this version?

If nothing works it looks like a new drive and a new copy of XP. I've got a full copy of '98 so an upgrade will do.

alcudia 11:18 25 Nov 03

Forgot to mention. This will be the third hard drive I've replaced in two weeks. My own at home, one here at work and now this. Getting quite an expert.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…