Prob with a sticky Letter on keyboard - Help pls?

AngeTheHippy 17:54 11 Dec 10

AfterNoon Chaps,

This has only just started today - the letter 'U' has become 'Unstable' - I've taken the cap off in case it's got gunge under it, it hasn't. I havr to press REALLY HARD for the u to appear. Any ideas, please? No other letter is doing this.

I'm pretty sre it's not a Virus, I did a fill scan 2 days ago.

Ange
x

eedcam 18:00 11 Dec 10

Check none of the spring clips on the actual cap are burred or bent

eedcam 18:02 11 Dec 10

Meant to add try another letter cap in its place to compare

rdave13 18:07 11 Dec 10

With the PC off, remove the keyboard, hold it upside-down and quickly tap the key continuously for a while.
Try again then if still the same treat yourself to a new keyboard; click here
price shouldn't put you off...ahem.

AngeTheHippy 18:09 11 Dec 10

AHHH!!!!! eedcam - tried that - works PERFECTLY!!! WELL SUGGESTED!! So what can U do about this please?

Ange
x

rdave13 18:09 11 Dec 10

Better not as it only has one year limited warranty... :(

AngeTheHippy 18:12 11 Dec 10

It's on me Lappy.....

A
x

GaT7 18:17 11 Dec 10

What works PERFECTLY?

In the meantime you can use the onscreen keyboard for the 'u' - assuming you're using XP click here. If Vista or Win7 click here. G

Diemmess 18:26 11 Dec 10

It can be possible to cure this but you need-
Luck... delicate fingers and .....more luck.

Switch off and disconnect from the computer

Depending on how it is built you must dismantle it so that ideally the filmy printed layers under the keys are exposed.
At every opportunity use a soft brush to stir up the dust and gubbins in there holding a vacuum cleaner nozzle to suck the muck away.

Some keyboards will come apart like meccano others are not really made to be dismantled at all.

If you can dismantle right to the filmy bit take extra care, they are incredibly easy to damage and ruin the whole project, you might still be able to clean the area even if you can't dismantle very far.

With everything as clean as you can make it, you can try a good blast of an aerosol (VHS Head Cleaner) into and around that key.

No need to drown everything if you use the fine tube to direct the spray. This leaves no residue when it dries.

Put everything gently back together again, cross your fingers, and try it.

I was very lucky doing exactly that only yesterday (the R key) but it was a triumph over commonsense and lots cheaper than a new keyboard

AngeTheHippy 18:26 11 Dec 10

Bally Hell crossbow7 !! I've not seen this facility before, what an excellent thing! Here's the odd thing though - I've replaced the trial key cap on it's own letter and re seated the 'U' on the u. It seems to be working OK. BUT, this on screen keypad thing, I wonder how many people know about this?

Many thanks,

Ange
x

rdave13 18:35 11 Dec 10

I think the on-screen keyboard has been around for quite soooooome time.. :)
Glad you're sorted, a new keyboard on a lappy is not cheap.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced