prob logging on to laptop

v8 16:50 10 Nov 07

hi guys, a friend's toshiba portege 7100 series laptop running xp pro had a prob where it would
occasionally get so far through the boot cycle and then would suddenly reboot itself - it was
also taking longer and longer for windows to load up. this prob worsened to the point it no
longer would get right through the boot process, but would reboot constantly. i managed, using
my xp pro disk, to get recovery console up and ran chkdsk (all ok), but came across the following
error message at some point (can't remember exactly where now): "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: windows root>\system32\hal.dll"

found the following article:

click here

and followed the instructions (although i made the mistake first time around of typing "windows xp professional" instead of "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" at the "enter load identifier" prompt, which has now given two options to boot from in the boot process - i'll ask about that in a separate thread if i can manage to get the main prob sorted lol)

the comp now boots through to the log on screen that says "to begin, click your user name" - trouble is, there are no user names to click on. the only thing that it is possible to click on is the "turn off computer" option at the bottom of the screen. tried "ctrl alt del del" which brings up a "log on to windows" box, but using friend's user name and password has no effect. tried to get into recovery console again, but now it asks for an administrators password, where it didn't before and i don't see how i have managed to set it so it needs one.

if i try re-installing windows, will this lose all settings for the likes of her wireless card, email addresses etc etc, or will it just replace/repair any corrupt/missing files? will it actually go through the install process or will it still ask for an administrators password? i really only want to format and start again as an absolute last resort. any help, as always, greatly appreciated. cheers, rob

rossgolf 16:53 10 Nov 07

when you go into re installing windows it should have an option to repair critical files or somthing like that should try that

v8 16:59 10 Nov 07

sorry, forgot to mention - the only spec i can find in the bios is: total memory = 196608KB.
no idea on processor, hdd size etc, as it doesn't show these on the screen as it boots. sorry

woodchip 17:03 10 Nov 07

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…