pro s of buying anti virus

Khufu 13:29 21 Dec 05

I know there are a few good free anti virus programs that are out there, but i just wondered if it is better to Buy one and if so which are the best to buy, my antivirus has expired and i should really get a new one!!!

Diemmess 13:39 21 Dec 05

As a (single operator home only) I am covered entirely by free downloaded AV and Firewall.
To this is added a couple of other malware scanners.
This has proved effective for years.
Having had once had incomplete protection from one well known company and paid money for that dubious privilege, ....... I am happy where I am

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:41 21 Dec 05

AVG and Avast are free. Both have their suporters. I run a mial out list of well over 90 AVG users and everyone is delighted. I ahve never been bothered by viruses and nor has anyone on the list. This speaks volumes.

G

Diemmess 15:03 21 Dec 05

Adding to what GANDALF <|:-)> and I have said, Zone Alarm is very good, but if you are a one man band as I am, then stick with the free version and don't buy the professional one!

The freebie is all you need and less trouble to set up. is a shade tedious at first while it learns what you want to accept, but doesn't fuss once you have taught it what to do.

AVG is my choice, I haven't tried Avast but as I say AVG has yet to let me down. It updates itself at least daily while you are on line.

GuZ><0r 15:12 21 Dec 05

To Be Honest With you Khufu stick with the free anti - virus. They seem to work best with me and even better than Norton.

click here

Belatucadrus 15:26 21 Dec 05

You only need to buy anti virus if you are running a business as the license terms are only free to non profit home users. The free anti virus progs avast! and AVG are provided by good companies and the development and support of the free versions is funded by sales of the pro version to business customers. They are also ICSA rated with good pass rates at Virus Bulletin.
If you choose you can buy the pro versions, this will give you a few more control options and tweaks that to be honest you don't need. You would however be contributing to Alwil or Grisofts financial future and helping to perpetuate the free versions to the benefit of the rest of us, so don't let us discourage you. We would all quietly appreciate your Christmas generosity.

palinka 15:40 21 Dec 05

I agree with Belatucadrus, GANDALF <|:-)> and others. There is absolutely NO NEED to BUY an AV.
AVGfree is excellent; has never let a virus onto my computer; and is much easier to use than the pro/paid-for AVs.

g0nvs 15:46 21 Dec 05

GANDALF <|:-)>, said It all.

interzone55 15:52 21 Dec 05

You asked for pros of buying AV software.

The only pro I can think of is when you have a paid for license you get access to better servers for downloads of virus signatures and program updates.

Most of the time this is irelevant, although when a major update arrives for AVG the free server can get jammed and it can take a day or two to receive the update.

As others have, and will continue to say, for home use there is no compelling arguement for buying any software, that includes AV (AVG & Avast), Firewall (Zone Alarm, Kerio, Outpost), Office (Open Office), Anti-Spyware (Ad-Aware, Spybot S & D) etc.....

Shortstop 15:56 21 Dec 05

Why pay?

click here

kro 18:06 21 Dec 05

... from EZ Antivirus.

click here

Anybody know anything about this product?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…