Privateers and personal freedoms

huith 15:03 15 Dec 07

A privateer is a pirate that has obtained legal status by some method!

When are we going back to common sense and stop the privateers such as Microsoft and Sony from riding roughshod over our rights. These companies and others like them are so paranoid about what they see as piracy, that they are quite happy to dictate what we are allowed or not to do with our own equipment. In doing so, they are violating the rights of the general public but I very much doubt whether they are having any effect on the illegal market.
One such case that has prompted this letter, is that of Microsoft's 'Windows Media Player' which refuses to play any of my video files because - I am informed - it is unable to interfere with my sound card in order to prevent it copying copyrighted material. This is intensely irritating as I am trying to play my own, home made, videos.
We have seen how far companies such as Sony are prepared to go with the fiasco of their putting hacking programs in their music discs. It is about time the public took back their rights and freedoms.

tullie 18:59 15 Dec 07

Wrong forum

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…