privacy in win 2000

Dr Grumps 11:52 07 Feb 03

rite in win 2k a username for the kids has been added but there are personal documnets on the 2nd partition that access needs to be prevented. I have tried using the sharing option but that don't work i guess it would only work if the pc was on a network !

so how can i do it?

Thanks

G

AndySD 11:59 07 Feb 03

Have you set the kids up with User Accounts rather than Administrator.

If so do they need access to the partition at all?

Dr Grumps 12:05 07 Feb 03

no they dont need access to the partition at all.i have set them up as restricted users.

the sharing hand doesn't even sho on their username. they just have access to the partition

AndySD 12:47 07 Feb 03

click here

But let me get back to you on it.

AndySD 14:35 07 Feb 03

First try ging My Computer and Right Click on the Drive (You must be logged in as an Administrator) choose Propertys choose Security. It will say Everyone. Choose Add and add Administrarors now add users. Now remove Everyone. Click on Userd and in the bottom Panel untick all the permissions.

Now log on as a user and see if you can access that partion/drive.

Dr Grumps 07:46 10 Feb 03

there doesn't seem to be a security option, as that is something i used on my pc !

any ideas y?

Dr Grumps 08:11 10 Feb 03

ah i am using fat 32

does that mean i cant do i then?

G

recap 09:59 10 Feb 03

Convert your file system to NTFS Dr Grumps as this gives you more security options in W2K.

algo mas 13:04 11 Feb 03

If you need to prevent access to a file or documents try "lock-it". I think the website is called "click here" and click on "security"If no joy there try google and type "freeware".
"Lock it" is really simple [though the interface is not to my taste].You select the folder and type in a password then close.Your file is still there but has a "_" next to the name.If you click on it it says "this file does not exist" [but it does!].

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…