Privacy Policy For Website

Mr A! 11:35 08 Dec 04

I have my own website at click here or click here. On most computers IE pops up a message saying that it can't find a privacy policy.

I'm currently writing a privacy policy but want to know how to include one in the site so IE picks it up and does not show a privacy icon at the bottom of the screen.

Thanks in advance!

Forum Editor 15:20 08 Dec 04

Right, here it comes:-

Using a language called P3P, you can include on your Web site an XML-formatted (machine-readable) privacy policy describing the way you treat visitors' private data if you collect it on the site. The P3P specification for describing the data collection can be very complex, requiring a good deal of time and effort, and there is a big potential for error.

All this can be made much easier by using one of the many available software tools - called P3P policy editors - to do the work for you. These tools include standard data types and categories that can be quickly dropped into the policy and by providing error-checking to help locate required elements that are missing from the policy.

The resulting machine-readable privacy policy can be interpreted by compatible browsers (like Internet Explorer) which can display an icon to users, reassuring them that the site's policy complies with their individual security settings - or that it doesn't. All this happens automatically, so users don't have the worry of having to check everything themselves.

Some policy editors are pretty expensive (IBM's is around $500) but there are much cheaper alternatives -
click here to see one that comes your way for around $29

Post back here if you need more help with specific aspects of this - it can be a little confusing at first sight.

Mr A! 14:04 13 Dec 04

i've had a look at some websites and shall start work on it soon.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…