Printspooler is preventing XP hibernation

m800afc 16:10 02 Dec 07

XP Pro SP2.

I am trying to persuade my computer to hibernate. I have attended to all the settings in Control Panel>Power Options. When The computer starts to hibernate, I get a dialog box with a message saying that "Printspooler is preventing the computer from hibernating please turn off Printspooler". On turning off printspooler using Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Services> Extended Services (Local), hibernation progresses as normal. Clearly this is unsatisfactory as I have to wait to respond to the dialog box, and turn Printspooler off the long way round.

Is there an easy way of turning on printspooler (hopefully automatically) when I wish to print, and off when I have finished printing, thereby enabling hibernation to complete normally?

If I try to print, having left printspooler off, I get an error message indicating I have no printer installed, would I like to install one?

Cheers.

exodus 19:37 02 Dec 07

Hi, reboot the computer and check Task Manager/ Processes tab and see if spoolsv.exe is running.
If so, what cpu percentage is shown as in use.

If spoolsv.exe is shown as running, open Control Panel / open Printers & Faxes / open the printer and ensure nothing is shown as waiting in queue.

Bear in mind that programs such as Norton or Microsoft Image Writer may attempt to write a report (if set to do so) and cause a similar problem by using the spooler but this device will not be your printer. It will be shown as Image Writer after opening Printer & Faxes.

exo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5