Printing problem

SheffieldSpy 11:39 21 Oct 03

I have a HP Deskjet 710c. I need to print a large document, but after printing 2 pages it stops. Is this a problem with the computer or the printer? How do I check? I have had similar problems before, but the bizzare remedy was to quit all my other programs. This doesn't seem to solve the problem this time.

The computer is running WindowsXP with 256MB memory and a 1.2GHz processor. Does this provide any clues?

kingkenny 11:43 21 Oct 03

It might be struggling to spool the whole document over to the printer ie; memory. Have you tried printing it in segments? Does it have large graphics on it?

woodchip 11:45 21 Oct 03

You could try this, Go to Start/settings/printers/right click your printer choose properties/details/spool settings click the box Print Direct to the Printer and try re-Printing your Document

SheffieldSpy 19:39 21 Oct 03

So, what you both seem to be saying is that it is more likely to be the computer end? and not the printer?

woodchip 21:24 21 Oct 03

Yes definitely, Although I have seen a lot of these kind of problems with HP printers, I think they are troublesome drivers they provide. And they don't seem to get on very well with MSoffice. They seam to through a lot of Winword errors up

woodchip 21:26 21 Oct 03

Throw not through. Must get a new keyboard

SheffieldSpy 20:07 22 Oct 03

I think my drivers came with Windows, would that still be HP's or Microsoft's adaptation? I haven't had microsoft word problems with the printer. This document that I am trying to print is PDF using Adobe Acrobat 5.0.

SheffieldSpy 20:11 22 Oct 03

I've had MS Word problems with Epson printers though, but I think this is totally different.

Djohn 20:12 22 Oct 03

Are you using a USB connection for the printer? If so and using USB for anything else at the same time, especially an internet connection, then this may be the problem.

Try unplugging all your other USB hardware and see if it corrects itself. If it does then you may need to use a USB powered hub to supply enough power to all connections at the same time. j.

woodchip 20:14 22 Oct 03

If you have a printer it will alway's work better with the right drivers HP fo HP Epson for Epson not Windows for HP

SheffieldSpy 09:01 23 Oct 03

Its not a USB connection, but a LPT1 connection, which is re-routed through a scanner.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…