Printing photos too dark?

Roy* 20:24 15 Jul 08

Trying to print pictures and there coming out really dark, ink levels OK, looks all ok on print preview. As these are big pictures (~4Mb) I tried resizing to 25% thinking that maybe too much detail as printing to 7x5" (13x18cm)but no difference.

Printer = Epson RX600
Paper = Epson Premium Glossy (and wasting loads of it)

Any advice greatfully received

iambeavis 21:10 15 Jul 08

Are you using any form of colour management? If so, are you applying it correctly? it should only be applied either by your graphics software or by your printer driver but not by both.

Have a look at this,see if it offers any help - click here

iambeavis 21:11 15 Jul 08

I know it's for the "R800" but the principle's the same.

DieSse 21:28 15 Jul 08

To match the screen to the printer is very problematical - you can, for instance change the on screen display simply by changing the brightness/contrast - this doesn't affect the actual picture or the printout. You see the problem....

Perhaps the photos really are dark - and your printer is correct but the brightness is too high on the monitor?

One method you can try is to

a) turn the monitor brightness/contrast down so that the picture matches the printout

b) adjust the picture brightness to what you want in a photo package.

Then the printout should match the screen better.

You can of course achieve the same effects by changing colour profiles in the various pieces of software. You'll find the monitor and/or graphics card and/or graphics software adjustments easier to make than printer ones.

woodchip 21:46 15 Jul 08

Try using Printer Properties to change the brightness under Advanced to test prints until you get it right then save profile

Roy* 22:29 15 Jul 08

I managed to find the problem in the Epson website see below: But it seems it's a known problem with XP and needed to download latest drivers which I did and it's all printing great now thanks. It also gives teh suggestion to change colour management to ICM if you don't want to update drivers so what iambeavis was saying (I think), this may be useful for others

click here

which gives you this:

Dark Prints Using Windows Fax and Picture Viewer with Windows XP Service Pack 2
Some Epson printer drivers produce darker output from the Windows XP Photo Printing Wizard with Service Pack 2 (SP2) when used with their default color settings. Updated drivers to correct this problem are posted on the Epson Support Website for downloading for the following models:

Stylus CX6400
Stylus CX6600
Stylus Photo RX500
Stylus Photo RX600
Visit the EPSON website to download your updated driver.

If you don't want to download and install the new driver, or drivers are not available for your model, you can also follow the procedure below to change your printer driver so it allows you to print correctly from the Photo Printing Wizard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos