Printing on a network. Choice of printer.

Rmallon 21:08 04 Nov 07

About to buy a wired network printer - Canon MX700, having done my research.
I have a wireless router at the moment, and the printer will be connected by Ethernet cable. No real need for wireless at the moment.
However, should I move house, the router and printer will not always be next to each other. How easy is it going to be for me to wireless-enable the MX700? A print server is not necessary I think. Would it be enough to plug in a USB wireless dongle to make the printer wireless capable?

Any suggestions gratefully welcomed.

mgmcc 21:30 04 Nov 07

USB is a "host-controlled" technology, it need the USB Host Controllers in a PC to run it. If you were able to plug a USB Wireless Network Adapter into a printer it wouldn't do anything.

irishrapter 21:33 04 Nov 07

A USB dongle will not work on the printer.

What you need is a something like this click here=

Its just a matter of configuring the device and plugging the printer into it via the Ethernet cable.

Rmallon 21:39 04 Nov 07

irishrapter - aware of this. at the moment, I have the G+ router from Belkin, F5D7231uk4. the plan is to plug in the MX700 to this using ethernet cable. that will satisfy my requirements for the time being.

my question is what i need to buy / do to have the printer wireless-capable at a later date if need be.

irishrapter 21:46 04 Nov 07

The device on my last post will work if you want to go wireless with the printer click here

irishrapter 21:47 04 Nov 07

Quote from the above link:

"The Belkin 802.11g Wireless Ethernet Adapter provides your Ethernet-equipped computer or network device such as a printer or gaming console with instant wireless networking capabilities."

Note that is says "Printer"

Rmallon 22:09 04 Nov 07

gotcha - cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…