Printing on a network. Choice of printer.

Rmallon 21:08 04 Nov 07

About to buy a wired network printer - Canon MX700, having done my research.
I have a wireless router at the moment, and the printer will be connected by Ethernet cable. No real need for wireless at the moment.
However, should I move house, the router and printer will not always be next to each other. How easy is it going to be for me to wireless-enable the MX700? A print server is not necessary I think. Would it be enough to plug in a USB wireless dongle to make the printer wireless capable?

Any suggestions gratefully welcomed.

mgmcc 21:30 04 Nov 07

USB is a "host-controlled" technology, it need the USB Host Controllers in a PC to run it. If you were able to plug a USB Wireless Network Adapter into a printer it wouldn't do anything.

irishrapter 21:33 04 Nov 07

A USB dongle will not work on the printer.

What you need is a something like this click here=

Its just a matter of configuring the device and plugging the printer into it via the Ethernet cable.

Rmallon 21:39 04 Nov 07

irishrapter - aware of this. at the moment, I have the G+ router from Belkin, F5D7231uk4. the plan is to plug in the MX700 to this using ethernet cable. that will satisfy my requirements for the time being.

my question is what i need to buy / do to have the printer wireless-capable at a later date if need be.

irishrapter 21:46 04 Nov 07

The device on my last post will work if you want to go wireless with the printer click here

irishrapter 21:47 04 Nov 07

Quote from the above link:

"The Belkin 802.11g Wireless Ethernet Adapter provides your Ethernet-equipped computer or network device such as a printer or gaming console with instant wireless networking capabilities."

Note that is says "Printer"

Rmallon 22:09 04 Nov 07

gotcha - cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac