printing off a network

Madpad_001 17:52 12 Apr 04

Hello,
I have my home pc (running xp Home) and my Laptop (Also on xp home) connected together usinf a cross over cable. I can access the internet fine on the laptop (The home pc has the modem on it) but i can not access any files via the network and can't use the printer that is connected on to the home PC. I used the network wizzard to set very thing up.I also have installed the printer software onto my laptop. So I am at a total loss!!! Can any one help me.

bremner 17:56 12 Apr 04

Have you checked to see that the printer is shown as 'Shared' on the machine it is connected to?

anon1 17:58 12 Apr 04

You will also need to set the files to share or the drive if you wish to share all of it.

anon1 17:59 12 Apr 04

a thought if you are not sure how to it is simply right click the drive/file and choose sharing and security.

Madpad_001 18:00 12 Apr 04

I have my C drive shared, but did not know that had to tell printer as well

Madpad_001 19:11 12 Apr 04

I have tried to reinstalled the printer software onto my laptop but it says I do not have access to my network. I am lgged on as the adminstrator for both systems and the internet works fine on my laptop. So what else am i doing wrong??
PS the printer has been setup as a shared printer & the both C: drives are setup for sharing.

anon1 19:15 12 Apr 04

Do you have both computers in the same workgroup eg "home"

Madpad_001 19:17 12 Apr 04

Yes my workgroup name is the same for both computers

bremner 19:28 12 Apr 04

Have you added the printer to the laptop as a network resource?

ie Control Panel > Printers > Add Printers and then chosen "add network printer

Madpad_001 19:40 12 Apr 04

I am still anable to access my main PC via the network it says the following :- home (name of network) is not accessable you might not have access to this network

anon1 19:44 12 Apr 04

try using start/search-computers or people and see if you find it that way. I had a similar problem once and that solved it for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…