printing images directly on the CD?

simmo09 15:52 01 Apr 08

Im sure ive seen or heard about these (unless im going mad!) a printer that like proper cd's have, will allow the image to burned directly on the cd (no labels or paper that peel off).

So is that possible, and if so where to buy?

Cheers

xania 15:56 01 Apr 08

You need special media and a special type burner then the burners burners the image onto the reverse of the DVD/CD. The technoclgy is called Lightscribe.

click here

Diemmess 15:59 01 Apr 08

Don't confuse a printer with the print it produces, or "burning" with ordinary printing.

Yes - there are several models from all the main inkjet makers which will print directly to the CD or DVD.

The print is therefore an ink print, never a laser print, because the heat would wreck the recording.
The blank should have a plain white surface for best results.

Stuartli 16:14 01 Apr 08

>>The print is therefore an ink print, never a laser print, because the heat would wreck the recording.>>

Why?

It's on the reverse of the actual recording surface.

I suspect, like xania, that simmo09 has seen something in the past about LightScribe.

Totally-braindead 16:39 01 Apr 08

I've got vague recollections of something like you describe but I cannot recall where I saw it.

You do of course get a inkjet printer that can print on DVDs and there is lightscribe which burns the surface of the DVD with its laser and is actually a DVD writer drive with this capability of creating an image and is not a printer but I do recall seeing something else, somewhere in the past few months.

Perhaps it was a lightscribe printer I saw a review of or something like that. I'm afraid I just can't remember.

keef66 16:44 01 Apr 08

you have 2 options; laser etching and inkjet printing

For the first you need a Lightscribe DVD burner and some Lightscribe disks. It will burn the data / music etc to the disk in the normal way, and then you can also burn graphics / text etc onto the label side of the disk. It's not full colour; it's more like a hologram.

For the second you need printable disks and a printer which will print to CD's. Full colour printing is possible this way, and you don't need to buy a new CD burner

conrail 16:50 01 Apr 08

I use an Epson Stylus Photo R220 printer to print onto my CD's, as says, you need prinatable CD's/DVD's, they are not as expensive as they used to be, I get mine from click here although there many more options, just do a search for printable Cds,

simmo09 17:52 01 Apr 08

phew...thought i was going mad. im sure i did hear you could do this, but doesnt sound very common.

Ill check out the links and information provided and search for such hardware. Should i purchase one i will report on the quality, reccomend etc.

Thanks once again

Stuartli 18:22 01 Apr 08

LightScribe disks are burned by the DVD rewriter, but on the opposite side to the data.

See:

click here

The disks are quite expensive in contrast to Printable media, which costs very little more than the standard media products.

Hewlett Packard has always been strongly featured for LightScribe capable rewriters, but other brands also have them. See:

click here

for some examples (PATA). SATA models are also on offer.

Stuartli 18:23 01 Apr 08

I'm quite happy with my Epson R300's printing onto CD and DVD media.

simmo09 19:28 01 Apr 08

thanks for the info Stuartli, i have been looking at click here

As lightscribe technology is new to me im not sure what to get. On reading the link i provided.. "is also lightScribe so you can print your own discs without using ink on LightScribe discs" confused me a bit. Do the writers use ink? This post confused me, some say they use lazers and things. I just want to make cd's and dvd's that look as good as the ones in the shop.

Additional information appreciated thanks. Also i will check that Epson R300 out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac