Printing from home laptops wirelessly

julie050702 20:00 19 Sep 09

Hi
I wonder if you can help. I have a desktop PC attached to a printer (Canon Pixma MP780) via USB cable and also to our BT homehub. We wirelessly connect 2 further laptops to the homehub. I would like to be able to print from the laptops but have no idea how to set up that sort of network. Is it easy for a novice to do and what (if any) new equipment would i need?
Thanks in advance for your help
Julie

rdave13 20:16 19 Sep 09

Some excellent info here; click here

julie050702 20:55 21 Sep 09

Dear rdave13
Thanks for this, there is a lot of info here so will have a look, but it all seems to refer to XP. I forgot to say the printer is attached to a desktop running XP Home and the laptops run VISTA home. Is it still possible with this set up? Thanks again Julie

peter99co 21:18 21 Sep 09

I have an XP Laptop and a Vista PC The printer is attached to the Vista PC. I open my network places (on the laptop) and open the PC by clicking on the PC icon. I get asked for the PC password and after that any time I click Print on a laptop document the printer prints.

The pc must be ON to operate this function.

rdave13 18:27 22 Sep 09

1.) Verify that File and print sharing is turned on and properly configured
on the XP machine. click here
Also change the workgroup name 'HOME' to 'WORKGROUP' on the XP machine.
click here

Already 'workgroup' on vista; click here

2.) Open the the shared location of the printer (Shared Printers folder) on Win Xp from your VISTA machine.
3.) On the Vista machine launch the "Add a Printer" wizard
4.) Choose "Add a local printer"
5.) Select "Create a new port" radio button and choose "Local Port" from the
drop down menu
6.) Press Next
7.) In the "Enter Port Name:" box enter the shared folder path from 'Step 2'. (e.g. \\WinXP\PrinterSharedFolder)
8.) Select the Printer driver from the list provided or use the "Have Disk"
button to install the correct Vista driver if it is not in the built-in list. Look on the printer disk and just use the basic driver.
It is critical that the driver you use is Vista compatible.
9.) Press next
10.) Give the printer a distinct name and choose whether to set as the
default. (same name as on Xp)machine.
11.) Press Next
12.) Print a test page to verify if working.
13.) Press Finish

Obviously main PC has to be on when connecting the laptop and when printing.

julie050702 21:10 22 Sep 09

Hi rdave13
Thanks again for your comprehensive reply, all looks pretty straight forward except at point 2, I am not sure where I should be seeing the shared printer folder WIN XP on the VISTA machine. Both say WORKGROUP as you specify on point 1.
Thanks again for your time, I am pretty new to this. Kind Regards Julie

rdave13 18:50 23 Sep 09

OK. On the Vista machine click on start- then network. If you've configured XP correctly (and exited thirdy patry firewall and reinstated XP's own, for now) you should see something like the router, Homecom (Vista) and Home-123456A1F3 (XP). They might be named differently on your PC. If it only shows router and homecom then your XP share files and printer isn't set up correctly. Check, also, on Vista, under network and on the top toolbar click on 'network and sharing center' that 'file sharing' and 'password protected sharing' is set to on.

julie050702 21:03 23 Sep 09

Dear rdave13
Thank you very much for your time and effort but I think I will have to leave it to printing from the XP! All seems too complicated, I don't really know what I am looking for on the VISTA and worried I may end up stopping something working! This is too much for my beginner capababilities!
Kind Regards
Julie

peter99co 21:08 24 Sep 09

I just switched on the printer and the attached PC.(downstairs)
Then on the Wireless PC (upstairs)
I used the add printer wizard. It asked if it was a new printer or a network printer.
I chose networked and it then offered a list. Click on the offered printer and it adds the driver to the wireless machine.

After that I was able to click PRINT and the printer downstairs printed the document.

The PC and the printer must be ON

ashleycardwell94 20:04 01 Oct 09

you could buy a wireless print server from argos

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5