Printing on heavy paper

truane 15:19 13 Jan 03
  truane 15:19 13 Jan 03

Printer reviews do not seem to mantion their ability to work with heavy paper (card) of 210 gsm and more. My HPDeskjet 950C has tight "u" shaped paper feed and won't handle over 160 gsm (I think). I would be grateful for list of past and present printers that can do 210 gsm.

€dstow 15:29 13 Jan 03

A pretty fair guess at paper handling abilities can be assessed, as you intimate, from the paper path. Tight "U" paths will be less tolerant than top feed, front exit printers. Some printers do have a choice of paths but this is often designed to ease double sided printing as well.

Once you've assessed the path it should be an easy job to look up the specifications on the manufacturers website.

I am not aware of a list that does as you request as most people do their own investigations and this problem may not be on the top of the list of priorities when selecting a printer.

€d

BrianW 15:38 13 Jan 03

have you tried your printer with heavier paper? HP photo papers come at 240 gsm and work with no problem and I quite regularly fed my HP 720 280 gsm card. I found the only thing required was to recalibrate the printer for the thicker paper. I do know that you will get problems using the thicker paper weights if they are textured - like some of the art papers designed to give the texture of oil painting canvas.

BrianW 15:42 13 Jan 03

as an experiment I have just printed on 280 gsm card through my hp psc2115 (hp5550 printer innards), no problem.

truane 16:30 13 Jan 03

Thanks to those who answered my query. Mayhbe I was being too acutious. I've just put thru a 160 and 210 gsm (perforated) card and both were fine. Think I'll stick to single sheet feeding though!

€dstow 18:32 13 Jan 03

It's always advisable with anything other than bog standard copy paper to hand feed single sheets. That way you only mess up one sheet if anything disastrous happens!

€d

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…