Printing from computers to 1 printer via a router

CLB 15:28 14 Jan 06

Hi

I have a computer that is connected to a printer via usb and the same computer is connected to the internet via ethernet to the router.

I have another computer that is connected to the internet via the same router but usb.

Is there a way of getting the second computer to print through the router & other computer?

Thanks

Charles

dms05 15:56 14 Jan 06

You will need to have both PC's running on the network and enable File & Printer sharing. I think you will probably need to have the printer drivers installed on both computers. Perhaps others can comment?

You could also buy a Network USB Printer Server that converts your USB printer into an Ethernet device then you can print from either computer and don't need the 'host' PC on at the same time. You would just see the printer as another device on the network.

dms05 16:02 14 Jan 06

click here to see the Netgeat Mini USB Printer Server

PaulB2005 16:44 14 Jan 06

Run the Network Wizard on both PCs and enable Printer and File Sharing when prompted.

Then goto the PC without the printer and Control Panel, Printers and Faxes, Add Printer. Select Network Printer and browse to the printer on the other PC.

The other PC must be on and someone logged in.

CLB 12:28 15 Jan 06

I've tried this but once I search for the new printer all that is found is the microsoft network but no printers?

PaulB2005 12:36 15 Jan 06

Have you then double clicked it to see the next level down? You should be able to see the PC with the Printer.

Make sure the PCs all have different and meaningfulnames during the Network Wizard.

Also have you any firewalls running?

CLB 13:29 15 Jan 06

I have double clicked it but there is nothing avaliable to click on?

The windows firewall is on but I've checked both the network connections and they both allow printer& file sharing?

kinger 16:49 15 Jan 06

Ensure that you have the network set up correctly.

Firstly, 'view wireless connections'. Then 'set up wireless connection for home or small office.

Answer the prompts and then set up a home network using the connection you just set up.

Ensure you use the USB system when setting up the wireless connection, it's very simple.

I use a USB pendrive, insert it into the first PC and then the second, then back into the first.

This tells Windows the settings and all should be well.

When you set up the Network connection you are prompted to copy files to a disk to put into another PC etc., go for the bottom option 'No'.

On the second PC do the same thing, ensuring you switch on Printer and file sharing when prompted.

Make sure you name the network EXACTLY the same name you gave it on your first PC.

Restart both PC's, one at a time.

Go to printer set up and Add Printer.

Click on add a network printer.

It will search for it.

When you see the list, click on the printer you want to use.

Ensure that Windows firewall is disabled if you already have a firewall installed as running the two will mess things up.

Windows will sometimes turn it back on when creating a new network. So always turn it back off.

Click on your printer icon. Right click 'properties'. Then 'Sharing'.

Allow your printer to be shared (tick box).

restart PC.

You should now be able to print to it from your second PC.

If not, check firewall is letting it through.

Check you have the printer driver installed on both PC's.

Restart PC after any alterations to ensure both machines can 'see' each other.

Try again with the printing.

A little long winded but I've just had the same problem but got it all going in the end.

Dazza40 20:57 18 Jun 06

thread added for reference

mgmcc 22:07 18 Jun 06

1) Connect the printer to the "client" PC, as though it were to be used with that computer, and install it. This ensures that it has all the necessary software/drivers on board.

2) Reconnect it to the "host" PC and, in its Properties, set it as "shared". In the client's "My Network Places" (or Network Neighborhood), the printer should then appear as a shared resource of the "host" PC along with any shared folders. Double clicking the printer in the remote PC should automatically install it as a "network printer" in the "client". This means that the "client" now has the same printer installed twice - once as a "local" printer and again as a "network" printer (with a bar under the icon to indicate a network device). If you are always going to print via the network, you may want to set the "network printer" as the default.

Otherwise, have a look at this Microsoft article. It is an old article written for Windows 95, but the basic principle for installing the network printer should still be valid. - click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…