Printing in Access

johnincrete 08:21 09 Sep 09

I can create a database for our school admin, containing details of students etc. I need to print receipts for tuition payments in Greek and in a very precise format - the Greek Tax people will issue big fines if the receipts do not conform.
Which programming language can get data from Access and is easy to use?
I also want to be able to set up menus to drop down under the conventional File, Edit, Insert etc.
Does Access do this?
I have a massive book on Access that I am wading through but I don't want to waste time if it is not possible to print the recipts & make menus.

Chris the Ancient 09:12 09 Sep 09

All the things you want to do are available in Access. You can use 'Reports' to print invoices which can be set up to whatever layout and format you require.

It is also possible to create all sorts of custom menus.

Access has its own visual basic and it can perform miracles. BUT, compared with other versions of visual basic, it is quite cantankerous to use at times. Caveat Emptor!

A useful site for Access problems... click here You have to register, but it'd free. Forum members there are polite and helpful to any level of user. The slight disadvantage is that is a USA based forum and the time zones need to be considered when looking for replies - which are usually plentiful and quick.

johnincrete 13:50 09 Sep 09

Thanks for the re-assurance & the link.
I'll press on with the book!

Woolwell 13:53 09 Sep 09

As an echo it is possible - but be prepared to spend time (lots) on getting the report to look right. One of the best pieces of advice I was given about setting up a database was "think about what you want to get out of it and the report before setting the rest up".

Chris the Ancient 15:57 09 Sep 09

Very good advice!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos