Printing accented vowels

HamOp 02:16 12 Oct 03

I am running Windows XP. The wordprocessor that came bundled with the computer is Microsoft Works. I need to be able to print accented vowels and the letter N with the tilde (~) for my Spanish class. I could do this in Word by pressing Alt + the vowel. This does not work in the Windows Works wordprocessor. I know Alt + the appropriate numbers (4 of them) will give the desired result, but I am using a laptop which does not have a separate numbers pad, so to get an accented vowel requires 7 keystrokes (Fn+Numlock+Alt+the 4 numbers. Is there an easier way?

powerless 02:18 12 Oct 03

Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools\Character Map

pj123 11:32 12 Oct 03

You could open a blank page and, using your 7 keystroke method place all the letters you need on the blank page and save it. Now you have two options: 1. Just copy and paste each letter as you need it. or 2. Make each letter Easy Text and assign a shortcut key to it. Print out a list of each shortcut and keep it by your side.

wee eddie 20:57 12 Oct 03

There all there somewhere

Pesala 23:02 12 Oct 03

This is a windows macro recorder that you can program to record Alter + Numeric Keypad strokes. Then you can assign any suitable shortcuts to type extended ANSI characters.

click here to download a shareware copy.

pj123 12:21 13 Oct 03

wee eddie, There is no Insert, Symbol in Works, only Word.

wee eddie 16:08 13 Oct 03

Every advert for Works that I have seen for the last couple of years has crowed about Word being bundled with it.

We have also had a couple of threads about how you cannot do a Mail Merge between Word and the Works Database.

So, I sort of assumed that that was what we were talking about.

pj123 17:07 13 Oct 03

wee eddie. not a problem, don't worry about it. HamOp has emailed me and hopefully I have told him how to fix this problem. If it works for him I hope he will post it on this thread as "problem fixed".

HamOp 03:35 16 Oct 03

I have resolved the problem using a program called ALLCHARS which I discoved on the PC Advisor Tips and Tricks Spring 2003 disk. After downloading the XP version I had exactly what I needed. Thanks to all who responded to my query and to the author of the program and to PC Advisor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…